thewideeyedowl

Default EZARD One-Name Study

EZARD is now registered as a One-Name Study with the Guild of One-Name Studies. It is an English surname from Yorkshire, possibly of German provenance, but it has spread far and wide - for instance, there are now more EZARDs in Australia and in Canada than in England. This link will take you to the Profile Page on the Guild website: https://one-name.org/name_profile/Ezard/

Initially, I am concentrating on EZARDs before about 1920, to make the Study more manageable and to protect the privacy of living individuals. To date, I have not got a huge amount of data but if anyone has queries about EZARD I will do my best to help. I know I have my work cut out, and all the migration ensures that it will definitely be a worldwide study.

There are several EZARD threads on BritGen forums, so I will go round adding a pointer to this post.

Needless to say, I would love to hear from anyone who has EZARD info to share - and I know I will be making much use of our 'Across the Pond' forums.

Owl

Quote - "... EZARD info to share ..."
    Reports of the Humane Society, Instituted in the year 1774, for the recovery of persons apparently drowned. For the years M.DCC.LXXXv and M.DCC.LXXXVI"
    Case 577 - To the Committee of the Humane Society, this is to certify, that on Friday 12 inst, Hannah Stacey, aged 19 years, was taken out of the Thames at Old Brentford, by J. Parkins, J. Williams and E.Church, to all appearances dead; but through the means prescribed by your valuable society, in about half an hour, signs of returning life appeared, and she is now in a fair way of recovery.
    Witness our hands this 13th day of Sept 1876, Charles Ezard, Churchwarden
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Owl, if I was doing a search on this name, I'd be searhing Izard (etc) as well. Are you excluding the "i"s?

thewideeyedowl

Default Isard (Izard/Issard/Izzard) One-Name Study

Yes, indeed...but that is a separate ONS of long-standing.

ISARD and related variants are found mainly in the South East of England and the name is believed to be of French provenance. Plus, there are many ISARDs in France, which supports this. You could run an internet search for ISARD and Jim Isard's site should come up; also, check out my WordPress pages (ezardthenameanditshistory dot wordpress.com). Origins, provenance and distribution for EZARD/EDZARD/EZZARD are covered. Then an in-site search for ISARD will bring up refs to that name and there is a link to the ISARD ONS site.

EZARD is a Yorkshire name that may have come to England before c1000AD (again, see the WP pages).

Owl

Having identified an Ezard in the records of the Humane Society 1786 (incorrectly posted as 1876) I had intended to follow up with a possible candidate for Charles, churchwarden. However, nodded off (age/senior moment?) and failed to get around to it yesterday evening.

These were taken from various polls for Knights of the Shire
    Middlesex 1772
    1. Freeholder's Name - John Jones Goch 2. Where Freehold lies - Old Brentford 3. Where he lives -- Chiswick 4. What it consists of Mess(uage) 5. Occupier's Name - John Ezard

Middlesex 1784
    1. Freeholder's name - Ezard Charles 2. Where freehold lies - Old Brentford 3. Where he lives - Old Brentford 4. Of what it consists - House
    1. Freeholder's name - Ezard Henry 2. Where freehold lies - Ealing 3. Where he lives - Ealing 4. Of what it consists - House

Bucks 1784
    1. Freeholder's Name - Ezard Charles 2. Place of abode - Eailing (sic) 3. What freehold consists of - House 4. Occupiers - Late Treachers

thewideeyedowl

Default Charles and Henry EZARD, Middlesex

Hi Helachau

Many thanks for the info in the two posts above, and it is probably just as well that I felt too tired to add to it/query 1876 yesterday evening.

There are many Charles EZARDs and many Henry EZARDs, but of course.... Obviously, they don't want to make it easy for us. However, over the last fortnight or so, I have been able to put together some info on the Charles you mention and am beginning to figure out the Henry. Info is from TNA.

There are Sun Fire Office insurance records, which are actually held at LMA. Charles EZARD of Old Brentford, a carpenter, was insured with them in 1788, 1789, 1791, 1792. It looks as if he served as a churchwarden at St Mary's, Ealing, in the 1790s. (Hopefully, the geography fits.) Old registers from 1717-1724 were re-covered/re-bound or something, and there is a note about this on the front - Charles Sturges, Vicar, 1773-1797, and churchwardens, Mr Edward Eustace and Mr Charles Ezard. I haven't seen these records but am guessing that Charles/carpenter/churchwarden are the same man; and it might have been him in the Humane Society report you found. Could be wrong, of course.

There is also a reference to a Charles EZARD, hurdlemaker, in 1765. Wild guess - was he the churchwarden's father???

There are also refs to Henry EZARD of Old Brentford at about the same time, so I am going to guess - from the property info you found - that these two were neighbours and, perhaps, even brothers.

These are the refs from TNA: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...rles+Ezard+%29

and then: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...enry+Ezard+%29.

Hope the links work. (The Charles EZARD of Bessingby, ERY, is completely different and can be discounted.)

Phew!

Thank you so much for taking an interest in all this - everyone is being quite wonderful, and so supportive.

Now I've got to get on and do the work!

Owl

Thanks for the update.
    Have spotted Henry under a. London Gazette and b. www.oldbaileyonline.org

thewideeyedowl

Snap! I've got that one too. Am going to do a W/Press page on 'EZARDs at the Old Bailey' just as soon as I've noted down all the ones who put in an appearance (mostly as witnesses, I think).

Owl