Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jerimiah O"BRIEN and Margaret MOLONEY

Hi, I hope there is someone out there that can help me.

I'm looking for information On my 4x great Grandparents JERIMIAH O'BRIEN (born around 1795) and MARGARET MOLONEY (birth unknown) who apparently lived in County Clare/Tipperary somewhere and I've been told there Son Thomas O'brien (around 1825) was born in Tipperary. I know of no other children but I am sure there would have to be more. Jerimiah was a Lawyer.

Thomas and his wife Charlotte (nee Lockyer) Migrated to Victoria Australia in 1856 on board the Ship 'Saldanha' with there 8 Children. I am also finding it very hard to find any information on Thomas and Charlotte before they arrived in Australia as well. Also 1 or 2 of Thomas and Charlotte's Children are said to be born in Killoloe, Clare County.

If there is anyone who can help me that would be so great as I've hit a dead end.

Hi
    I have removed your other post in the County Clare forum as duplicate posts can have different members searching for the same thing and cause confusion
    I left your post in the Tipperary forum but it can be moved if necessary.
    I understand your frustration with your search as I am in the process of trying to find Irish ancestors for a friend. His great grandfather immigrated to OZ and there are plenty of records in OZ for him- even his marriage on Geurnsey but can I find anything in Ireland- not one hint of info Bah!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I can only see one baptismal record (it is RC) for a Thomas O'Brien/Brien with father Jeremiah and that is in 1837 in Co. Cork. Mother's name Margaret Sulivan, sponsors Owen Sulivan and Margaret Lenihan. Address - Boherase in the parish of Buttevant.

Marriage of Thomas O'Brien and Charlotte Lockyer 31-Oct-1840 district Nenagh NG Co Tipperary, address -Killaloe, No parents or witnesses names. In the notes section it says "AT BANAGHER"

Christina
    William Burroughs

On the shipping record aboard the Saldanha in 1857 there is a Thomas O'Brien age 46, a solicitor. This puts Thomas birth year at 1811 not 1824. With himis his wife Charlotte and no discernible age given.
    Children -Margaret 13, Ann L 11, Orlando S 9, William 7. Lockes M? 3. This is 6 children not 8. Do you have the names of the other two who accompanied them?

Added:
    Is this the death of yourThomas?
    Thomas Obrien
    Born c1812
    Age 40
    Death at Dandenong, Victoria. Registered 1852
    Registration Number - 1360

Christina
    William Burroughs

Where did you find the names of Thomas' parents.? Do you have his death certificate? I am using RootsIreland website for Irish birth/baptisms, marriages and burials and there is no record of a marriage for a Jeremiah O'Brien and Margaret Maloney. I also looked on familysearch.org and again I found nothing.

Have to leave it for now. Someone else may do better than me.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Dublin Evening Post 5 Dec 1797
    MARRIAGE. Mr Jeremiah O'Brien, of Rein Inch, co. of Tipperary to Miss Margaret Moloney, of O'Brien's Bridge, co. of Clare.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

You say that a couple of the children were born in Killaloe (Co. Clare). The baptism and marriage records for that parish start in 1828. However Rootsireland don’t have them on their site. So that may explain why you can’t find anything. They are not on-line anywhere so far as I am aware. The National Library in Dublin has a copy on microfilm, and they will be going on-line, free, next month (together with all the RC parish records for most of Ireland). You might want to search the Killaloe RC records when that happens.

Regarding Jeremiah & Margaret’s marriage, tradition was to marry in the bride’s parish. I see she was from O’Briensbridge, which is in the RC parish of Doonass & Truagh. Unfortunately they have no parish records earlier than 1851, so it’s very lucky that the marriage was mentioned in the papers, otherwise you would have had little prospect of tracing it. (That the marriage is mentioned in a Dublin paper at that time would suggest the family were reasonably well off.)

You will find that very few rural parishes have records for that period in Ireland. Most Irish research comes to a standstill in the early 1800s for that reason.

If Thomas O’Brien was a solicitor, you would expect him to have a degree, presumably obtained in the 1830s or thereabouts. The only university in Ireland before 1849 was Trinity College, Dublin. You could check with them to see if they have any record of awarding him a degree.
    ELWYN

Hi Christanel,

Thank you for all your post's they are all helpful. I have Thomas O'brien and Charlotte Lockyers Marriage record form the 'Ireland, Selections of Catholic Parish Marriages and Banns, 1742-1884' and it is as follows:
    Thomam OBrien
    Event Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 27 Oct 1840
    Spouse's Name: Charolane Lockyer
    Parish: Kilronan
    Diocese: Ardagh and Clonmacnois
    County: Roscommon
    First Witness: Joanne Berd
    Second Witness: Maria Molloy.

Yes I also have there shipping record aboard the Saldanha and I must have missed typed year of birth as I aslo have 1811. I also found out that Thomas and Charlotte went on to have 2 more children once in Australia so that makes the 8.

The death of my Thomas is 25th June 1890 in St Kilda, Victoria, Australia. I found his obituary in the 'Advocate' (Melbourne, Vic. : 1868 - 1954) on 28 june 1890.' Mr. Thomas O'Brien, solicitor, of Melbourne died at Robe Street, St. Kilda to-day. He was a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ireland. He arrived in Melbourne in the fifties, and practised his profession till 1887.' i have also found his death index which is where i found the name of his parents..

Thank you for all your help.

thank you helachau, that is awesome.

Hi Elwyn Soutter,

That is great to know about the baptisms as Thomas and Charlotte had 6 of their children in Ireland and they were born between 1842 and 1852 so I should be able to find them from next month, That is really exciting.

Yes the family was very well off. I found a website called life in killaloe, 1846 which is information form a book called 'The Famine Years in the Parish of Killaloe 1845-1851 by Sean Kierse.' and Thomas O'brien is talked about in it. The book states "Early in March, Mr J. Connell of Killaloe, received a threatening notice to prepare his coffin if he did not conform to the laws of the Terry Alts, and later the same month the widow Smith's house at Ballygarreen was attacked by an armed party of "midnight legislators" because she had taken land from which the tenants had been ejected. On Sunday evening, 7th April, while walking in his ground at Kincora Lodge, Killaloe, Mr Thomas O'Brien, Attorney, was served with a Rockite notice by two fellows armed with blunderbusses." Excerpt page 13-14.
    I have also found 'Slaters directory for Gentry & Clergy for Killaloe in 1846' Jeremiah O'Brien Esq., living in Ryninch and the Griffith land reports of 1855 I found a Thomas O'Brien owning land and Anne Lockyer (Thomas' Mother inlaw) owning land.

Thomas and his father Jeremiah were both solicitors so I will be sure to look into Trinity College.

Thank you so much for your information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast