Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gasser

Whilst having a look at my OH's roots, I found that his grandmother was in the Aberdeen Girls Industrial School on the 1901 census.
    Have you accessed the whole of the 1901 census return which includes his grandmother ie. the front cover which hopefully gives full address? The reason I ask is because I had a similar scenario with my OH's grandmother and it was only by going back previous pages of the census return, that I found out she was in an 'industrial school' that was RC....... there had been no evidence of her family being Catholic, before or since.

JackieC

Thanks for that Gasser, I haven't - unfortunately with limited means I can't afford subscriptions so I took advantage of Ancestry's free weekend but that didn't include the images. The address that Ancestry gave did say Mount St though - that's interesting that the RC school took in non-Catholics.

Archives

School records for Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire / Kincardineshire / Banffshire / Morayshire are held at Aberdeen City & Aberdeenshire Archives (www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/archives) though they don't have much for what were industrial schools. Some industrial schools became 'state' schools later on, in which case some records may have survived. As industrial schools were more like charitable organisations, there wasn't an overarching organisation like the School Board to manage them, and as such records were lost over the years. The survival of records from schools under the auspices of the various school boards is much better, though there are still gaps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12