Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    harleyallison

Question Gower House school Blackbird Hill

Hi I am looking for the history of Gower House school 5 Blackbird Hill London. All that I can find is that it opened in 1951, that is from the school site. My interest is that my grandmothers brother was living at this address in the 1950's.
    Thank you

Reputation beyond repute

my grandmothers brother was living at this address in the 1950's.
    You say his address was "Gower House school Blackbird Hill". Is that what you really mean or was the address quoted simply as "5 Blackbird Hill"?

The old pubs web site suggests that there used to be a pub at 5 Blackbird Hill.

harleyallison

His address was 5 Blackbird Hill from 1952 until he died 1964, information gathered from electoral rolls. He did have something to do with the school, I believe the school was founded in 1951. he either lived in the school or there was a school house. My father remembers visiting with his mother.
    What was the name of the pub at 5 blackbird Hill ? Was it there before 1851. In the electoral rolls there is only two people listed at number 5 my grandmothers brother and his wife.
    Thank you for your help

Hi Harleyallison - are you still researching history of Gower House School? I was a pupil from 1953 to 1959. The head of school was a lady called Mrs Keane or Keene and she lived there on site with her husband who, I think, did all the maintenance tasks round the school but I'm not sure about that. I do remember that they were Welsh. I remember that Mrs Keane gave birth to a daughter called Gillian - but that may have been after I left? I might have gone back to visit them.

Hello Alemaperram,
    I was googling Gower House School and saw your reply on the thread. My Grandma taught at the school in the 50s, i wonder if she taught you?!! Her name was Irene Wall. I'd love to hear about the school and any stories you have! Best wishes.

Hi KarenBertie,

She probably did... Mrs Wall rings a very vague bell.... but I was pretty young at the time! Not sure what I could tell you that would be of interest to you.......I can see vivid images of the school in my mind and remember one or two experiences pretty clearly but these are from the perspective of a very young child, so not so useful to you?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alemaperram View Post
    Hi KarenBertie,

She probably did... Mrs Wall rings a very vague bell.... but I was pretty young at the time! Not sure what I could tell you that would be of interest to you.......I can see vivid images of the school in my mind and remember one or two experiences pretty clearly but these are from the perspective of a very young child, so not so useful to you?
    I was just so surprised and curious to find a thread about the school and wondered if you remembered her specifically! We do have a photo somewhere of her teaching in the class and it looks like a very modern international class. My Grandma once said she would start the day with the kids telling their news from home, but they had to stop that quite quickly because some of the things the kids were coming in to say were not suitable!!!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi - was Mrs Wall still teaching in the late 1970s and early 1980s? I was definitely taught by a Mrs Wall (but may be hall) and Mrs Cuggihy (or something like that) who appeared to be great friends.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by KarenBertie View Post
    Hello Alemaperram,
    I was googling Gower House School and saw your reply on the thread. My Grandma taught at the school in the 50s, i wonder if she taught you?!! Her name was Irene Wall. I'd love to hear about the school and any stories you have! Best wishes.
    Hi - was Mrs Wall still teaching in the late 1970s and early 1980s? I was definitely taught by a Mrs Wall (but may be hall) and Mrs Cuggihy (or something like that) who appeared to be great friends.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenBertie View Post
    I was just so surprised and curious to find a thread about the school and wondered if you remembered her specifically! We do have a photo somewhere of her teaching in the class and it looks like a very modern international class. My Grandma once said she would start the day with the kids telling their news from home, but they had to stop that quite quickly because some of the things the kids were coming in to say were not suitable!!!!
    Hello,

For anyone still searching for info on Gower House, I was a pupil there in the 80's.
    There was a Mrs Ball there, would that have been your grandmother? There wasn't a Mrs Wall whilst I was there. She was very tall and quite old at the time.

Yes, there was a Mrs Cuddighy, I remember her well too.

Before Mr Keane took over, the previous Headmaster was a Mr Edwards, who was kind and all the
    teachers seemed fond of him. I'm not entirely sure, but I think Mr Keane was Mr Edwards' son in law. Mr Keane married Mr Edwards' daughter and took over as Headmaster. Mr Edwards lived very nearby, although I don't know where. Possibly attached to the school.

There was a pub next door called The Blackbird I think.

I hope this helps anyone looking for info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast