Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shafner

gillylewis

Hi Philip, re: my family tree on ancestry. Parents of Benjamin Lewis-Lewis L Levi b.1827 Middx d.1905- Adele Louise Victorine Leblond b.1836 Dieppe d.1897 Thanet Kent. Lewis L Levi's parents- Charles Lyon Levi b. 1794 Warwickshire Birmingham d. /4/1862 Warwickshire, Birmingham-buried Cemetery Old Witton, Warwickshire Elsie Cohen b.1799 London d. July 1873 Kings Norton Worcs. Charles Lyon Levi's parents-Lyon Levi b.1766 Germany d. 1852 Warwickshire Birmingham. So with Nathan & Matilda Levi, I was off track, and, as far as I know there isn't a connection.
    I don't know why the old data is still on ancestry? My tree hasn't been public for some time.
    Philip, Thanks for your help.
    Best regards
    Gilly

Starting to feel at home

Hello Philip, it's been a considerable length of time since we've been in touch, must be at least eight years? Now, I wonder if you can help me further with the same family. Rachel spouse of William, (Woolf) Shafner I purchased birth certificate for the daughter,Sarah(my grandmother)b. 12th March 1877 St Pancras and her mother's full name was Rachel Kutchincon,(w)at least that is what it appears to be as written on the certificate. I wonder would it be possible to send you an attachment. I'm interested to find out where, Rachel,(my great grandmother was born in Poland? Best regards Gilly

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly Lewis View Post
    Hello Philip, it's been a considerable length of time since we've been in touch, must be at least eight years? Now, I wonder if you can help me further with the same family. Rachel spouse of William, (Woolf) Shafner I purchased birth certificate for the daughter,Sarah(my grandmother)b. 12th March 1877 St Pancras and her mother's full name was Rachel Kutchincon,(w)at least that is what it appears to be as written on the certificate. I wonder would it be possible to send you an attachment. I'm interested to find out where, Rachel,(my great grandmother was born in Poland? Best regards Gilly
    I wouldn't know where to start on Jewish Ancestry, but since you last visited Brit-Gen (just under five years ago) the GRO have released on their own site birth and death indexes which contain more information than the original GRO Index.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Rachel's mother's maiden name is indexed as Hutchinson.
    Leah's is BURCCHINSEA
    Jacob's the indexers obviously didn't have a clue about except that it began with B....
    Rebecca's is BACHCICKI
    No birth registration for Solomon that I can see.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pam, Thank you for your prompt response. I don't really understand the info that you sent me. I thought Rachel's maiden name did look like Hutchinson, but that is an English name and not Polish? I wasn't asking about a birth certificate for Rachel only her place of birth in Poland. GRO index is where I applied and received Sarah Shafner's birth certificate in order to get Rachel's maiden name. And as I don't know the exact details of Rachel's birth so I couldn't apply for a birth certificate. I don't really think Hutchinson can be correct. Gilly

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Gilly, I don't think Hutchinson can be correct either.

I know you're not asking about Sarah (or her siblings), but for English families knowledge of the mother's maiden name can usually result in finding a suitable marriage for the parents. A little more difficult when there are foreign names, which are highly likely to be mis-spelt, involved.

Philip might find the information useful, though given the spellings, possibly not. Either way, it just saves him having to look for it.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Gilly, I don't think Hutchinson can be correct either.

I know you're not asking about Sarah (or her siblings), but for English families knowledge of the mother's maiden name can usually result in finding a suitable marriage for the parents. A little more difficult when there are foreign names, which are highly likely to be mis-spelt, involved.

Philip might find the information useful, though given the spellings, possibly not. Either way, it just saves him having to look for it.

Pam
    Hi Pam, Thank you. I did respond by sending an email and an attachment of the birth certificate for Sarah Shafner. But it looks as though you might not receive it? I asked in the message if a Polish person went on to a Jewish Polish genealogy site would they be able to get more info? Gilly

Hi Gilly and Pam
    Good to hear from you Gilly. I have started to look at the surnames on the Jewish Records Indexing site using phonetic and fuzziest spellings. My own line married into the Barczinsky from Poland and I have an interest in exploring family names from the regions. The lines may also be Russian because of the dissolution of the Empire of Poland and the Russian dominance.

The surname ending Cicki does exist in Poland and there is as an example a Nachcicki.

Please give me some time to look further and I will post relevant data.
    In the meantime Gilly you can send me your certificate via BG Private mail.

I hope you are all safe and well.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Gilly
    If you log onto JewishGen Poland Data base you will see the Jewish Records Indexing Poland data base. This data base contains over 5 million records including names, BMD, towns/place names.

Using the Jewish Records Indexing facility type in the last names of the people you are searching for using phonetic or fuzzy/fuzziest naming. I have done this with the last names posted by Pam Burcchinsea/Bachcicki and Shafner.

There are large numbers of matches based on the fuzziest system and most focus on Barcinska;Barcinski and other derivations of spellings.

Importantly, these records give other data such as ages, occupations etc and can be used for family links.

As you know the spelling derivations of last names on arrival in the UK could vary significantly as per my own Polish lines. In many cases, the individuals didn't use their last names on arrival or adopted place names as my people did.

Please take a look at the JewishGen Data base and also consider the other areas such as Lithuania and Eastern Europe. I say this because our lines may have used the term 'Poland' to include parts of the Empire of Poland and Empire of Russia.

Let me know what you come up with in your searches.

Gilly
    I know you have the Death Certificate for Woolf Shafner in 1908 but for your records here is the Jewish Chronicle Death Notice:
    On the 12 March WOOLF SHAFNER aged 66. Deeply mourned by his sorrowing daughter Mrs B LEWIS 5 Glenfield Avenue Leicester... African and American newspapers please copy JC March 20, 1908

The reference to African and American newspapers to copy the message is useful because it signifies other relatives in those countries.

When you first started this thread I did not have access to the Jewish Chronicle Newspaper Archives 1841 to the present but do so now.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Gilly and Pam
    Good to hear from you Gilly. I have started to look at the surnames on the Jewish Records Indexing site using phonetic and fuzziest spellings. My own line married into the Barczinsky from Poland and I have an interest in exploring family names from the regions. The lines may also be Russian because of the dissolution of the Empire of Poland and the Russian dominance.

The surname ending Cicki does exist in Poland and there is as an example a Nachcicki.

Please give me some time to look further and I will post relevant data.
    In the meantime Gilly you can send me your certificate via BG Private mail.

I hope you are all safe and well.
    Hi Philip, It was good to hear from you again to and thank you for your welcomed response. I will definitely browse the Jewish site later. Philip, I'm not sure how to send you an attachment 0f the certificate by private email. Whereabouts would it be on the site? Gilly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast