Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Samuel Weston Beal- supposedly born Oundle

Hi All
    This is my first post to this website
    I have been trying for some time to link my 3xgreat grandfather Samuel Weston BEAL to his siblings and parents.
    I have a marriage for Samuel in London in 1819 and have also found him there in 1841 and 1851. He states that he was born in Oundle, Northamptonshire c1800.
    I have found Samuel’s most likely grandparents, Thomas Beal and Elizabeth Weston, who were married in Morborne Hunts in 1756. They had 3 sons, Henry, John and Thomas. I think one of these three are my Samuel’s parents, but to date I have not been able to find any birth or baptism for him in Oundle which would link him to one of these fathers.
    Samuel Weston Beal was a carpenter, and out of the 3 possible fathers, only Henry Beal was also a carpenter. I have found Henry Beal as a master carpenter in Oundle both in 1801 and 1804. I also have a possible marriage for him that I found on freeReg. The marriage is to a Sarah Oldham and the place is Barnack, Northamptonshire. Sarah’s parish on the marriage is stated as Barnack and Henry’s as Oundle. I also found Henry and Sarah’s children’s baptisms in Oundle on freeReg. Their children were Mary (1797), Sarah (1801) and Henry (1804), but no Samuel!
    What I can’t find is any other info re both Henry Beal and Sarah Oldham. It may help my search if at least I knew more about Sarah Oldham- where she was born, who her parents were( her father may have been Samuel, for instance) etc?
    If anyone has access to Northamptonshire BDM’s and could possibly help me, it would be appreciated. I live in Australia so I can only search on the internet.

Thank you in advance

David

Have you checked the surrounding parishes? Sometimes, people were out of their usual parish for a year or so (maybe for work) and one child in the sequence had a different birthplace but, because the siblings were all bought in the "base parish" the parents just said that all their kids were born in the same place.They didn't worry so much about accuracy as we do.
    Also, children sometimes acquired their middle names after baptism - I assume that you've been looking at candidates with only one forename?

janbooth

Hi David,

There is also another child baptised at Oundle to Henry & Sarah BEAL (source Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812):

Born 17 December 1806 & baptised 9 January 1807 Thomas son of Henry & Sarah BEAL

I can find the marriage of Henry & Sarah OLDHAM at Barnack, as you have stated on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index, 1700-1837. It was by licence so it could perhaps be worth an email to Northamptonshire Record Office to see if they hold a record of the marriage licence as it may hold some clues, especially as I cannot find a likely baptism on the Northamptonshire Baptismal Index for a Sarah OLDHAM. There are no baptisms to Sarah as a spinster before her marriage to Henry, so Samuel was obviously not baptised as an OLDHAM. The earliest BEAL(E) baptism in Oundle is that of Mary in 1797 and there are 5 baptisms to a John & Harriet BEAL the earliest being that of a daughter Harriet in 1802 - is this Henry's brother John? Let me know if you would like details. John's marriage is on the Northamptonshire Marriage Index and took place at Oundle:

8 November 1801 John BEAL, bachelor, of the parish & Harriet UNDERWOOD of Chelsea St Luke, Middlesex, spinster

There are a couple of other BEAL marriages at Oundle around the same time which may prove to be connected to your Samuel:

21 August 1802 Thomas BEAL of Upwell, Hunts, bachelor & Ann Braddock PURCELL, of the parish
    6 September 1818 Joseph BEAL of the parish, bachelor & Rhoda EARL of the parish, spinster

The earliest BEAL marriage at Oundle on the Marriage Index is that of a Euseby BEALE & Mary PARISH on 25 July 1731 by licence. I don't know if he is connected at all to your line, but the record may come in useful.

Samuel's marriage record to Eliza ROBINS doesn't help much either, in that both witnesses were members of the ROBINS family. Have you considered the fact that Samuel may have been illegitimate?

Not too sure that any of this helps very much, but I will keep looking for anything on Samuel.

Janet

janbooth

The London Will of Samuel Weston BEAL of 9 Reeves Place, Hoxton, Cabinet Maker is available to see on Ancestry. Unfortunately, that does not help at all in your quest to find his parents, as it only names his wife Eliza as his Executrix. No helpful relations named at all!! Am having no luck finding an appropriate baptism for Samuel at all so far, but will keep looking.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you both for your replies

I have been gradually acquiring the parish records for several villages in Huntingdonshire because I'm almost 99.9% sure that Samuels ancestors came from there.

It would appear that Samuels cousins and/or brothers moved about quite a bit. Apart from finding them in London, I've found them in other parts of Northamptonshire and Crowland in Lincolnshire.

Janet, I did know about the baptism for Thomas in 1806 but forgot to add it- apologies. You have given me a few things to go on though. More than I've had for quite some time. My biggest recent breakthrough was the marriage of Thomas Beal to Elizabeth Weston in Folksworth Hunts( not Morborne as I stated previously). You have asked an obvious question- was Samuel illegitimate ? Maybe, but if he was illegitimate to either Henry or wife Sarah Beal, he would have been the 2nd born to them and usually it's the first child who is illegitimate. Anything's possible though.
    I do know about John and Harriet Beal, but I didn't have their marriage record-thank you. John was the clockmaker in Oundle and they had quite a few kids. The other brother Thomas is also hard to trace. He was a baker I know(from his second marriage record in London) but I haven't found apprenticeship records for him or a first marriage record. I also know about Joseph and Rhoda Beal in Oundle, but I haven't found evidence to date to link them to my tree. The Euseby Beal marriage is interesting and could be one of mine- thank you.

I will try contacting the Northamptonshire records office re the marriage for Henry Beal.

Janet, one thing that has puzzled me for a while is where the name Samuel came from. There are no Samuels anywhere to be seen from his ancestors in Hunts. That's why I'm wondering? hoping that Sarah Oldham's father's name may be Samuel, but I can't been to trace where she came from yet- Barnack doesn't appear to be her birth place.

Thanks again for all your help to date. This has been a long endeavour for me. Another reason I need to know is that I have the same trade as John Beal the clockmaker, and I'd love to unquestionably be able to put him in my tree.

I'll try to insert this diagram which shows what I know up til now.

David

janbooth

David,

I will have a look over the weekend at your Tree and see if I can find anything further on my CDs etc which might shed any light on your family. It's interesting though that Jesse's 2nd name is Eusebius (not a particularly common name) in that the first mention of BEAL in Oundle is the marriage of a Euseby BEAL in 1731. From memory of looking at the Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812, there is a Eusebius BEAL having children in Warmington, Northants, so he could be worth further investigation!

Will get back to you after the weekend.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet

My gut feeling is that the marriage you found for Eusebius in Oundle in 1731 was his first marriage. The second marriage occurred in Morborne to Rose Hitchcock in 1745. I do have some wills, one of Eusebius of Morborne and another for Thomas of Morborne, both of which have given me a bit of an insight into who's who.

Thanks for continuing to assist. Any leads are worth following up.

David

PS: My two trees on ancestry.com are called David William Bishop Family Tree and Samuel Weston Beal from Oundle- his ancestors.

janbooth

Hello David,

Back again. Looking at my Northamptonshire CDs, I have come up with the following as regards the name of Eusebius (and variants) BEAL(E):

1 May 1781 at Warmington, Northants Eusebius BEALE of Mawborn, Hunts, bachelor & Ann SHERMAN of the parish, spinster, by lic.

So I assume he is one of yours?

The earliest baptisms in Northants for Eusebius are as follows:

3 November 1702 at Hemington Eusebius son Eusebius & Joanne BEAL, Almster
    17 June 1705 do William son Eusebius & Joanna BEALE, Shepherd bur 9 December 1705
    11 February 1707 do John son of Eusebius & Joana BEALE
    31 July 1710 do Thomas son Euseby & Joan BEAL
    18 March 1713 do William son of Euseby & Joan BEAL bur 13 July 1715
    31 May 1715 do Henry son of Eus. & Joan BEAL

Marriage on 21 October 1733 at Marston Trussell of Eusebius BEALS of Armston & Rebecca ROWTHEL of Polebrooke by licence

7 April 1732 at Polebrooke Eliz. daughter of Euseby & Rebecca BEAL
    5 Jan 1734 do Mary daughter of Eusaby & Rebekah BEAL bur 21 August 1739
    23 May 1735 do Eusebius son of Eusebius & Rebekah BEAL of Armston bur 1 June 1735

It looks as if Eusebius snr and his wife went to Polebrooke as there are various BEAL(E) burials there as follows:

31 October 1727 Euseby BEAL
    22 May 1735 Rebeckah BEAL wife of Eusebius
    29 May 1735 Henry BEAL of Armston
    8 May 1742 Joanna BEAL of Armston
    27 September 1742 Eusobius BEAL of Armston

Another burial at Lutton on 13 June 1738 for Mary BEALE wife of Eusebius - this looks as if it is the Mary PARISH who married in 1731 and therefore, as you rightly surmised, the first wife of Eusebius who then remarried in Morborne in 1745. But whose son was he?? There are the two sons of Eusebius & Joan, i.e. John & Thomas unaccounted for at this time - could he be one of theirs?

There are also 2 marriages of a Eusebius BEALL at Brigstock, one in 1755 and the other in 1793 - don't know if they could be connected somehow.

Does any of this tie in with information on the 2 wills you have?

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet

Thank you again for your extensive searching.

The marriage in Warmington looks good- my Beals were in Morborne so that fits neatly. Where that particular Eusebius slots in I'm not certain at this stage.

The burial for Mary Beal could also be good, Lutton being close to Oundle and Morborne and her hubby Eusebius.

The other records you have don't ring any bells for me at present, although they are definitely worth holding on to. The given names Joanna and Rebecca definitely do not show up elsewhere in my tree.

The wills I have are for Thomas Beal, dated 1746 and Eusebius Beal, dated 1762 ( but it appears he died 1771), both in Morborne.
    I also have CD's for parish records for Morborne, Haddon and Folksworth. I am in the process of ordering the CD for Elton, as one of the wills mentions property in Elton. Believe it or not, even with all those records, I am still having difficulty working out the lineage exactly. For instance, with one male, I'm not sure if he's a son or a brother of another!

Janet, if you would like any of the records I have, please email me direct at: daveb104ATgmailDOTcom. I am willing to share anything I can.

Thankyou again- your suggestion that my Samuel perhaps was illegitimate is looking more possible every day- and I wouldn't care if he was, as long as I could fit him in the tree with his ancestors!

I wish there were CD's available for parish records for the whole of Hunts and Lincolnshire as well, as I think those counties may turn up a few more clues for me.

Regards

David
    Last edited by christanel; 31-05-2015 at 9:52 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

janbooth

David,

I have looked at the Lincs to the Past website for any reference to Samuel Weston BEAL(E) and nothing came up. I have also looked at my Cambridgeshire Baptismal Index and my Bedfordshire Name Index for him and once again there is no mention of him. I reckon he must have been left under a gooseberry bush!! There are plenty of records for him after he married Eliza and settled in Middlesex but a decided lack of them before then. I will keep looking. There are certainly a couple of WESTON families in Oundle in the late 1700's but so far I have not managed to find a link between them & Samuel.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast