Default Please help me date this photograph

Would appreciate help with dating this photo.
    I have very little information except to say that the word FETE is written on the back and the photograph is a postcard type design.

Thanks in advance

My guess is quite early 1920s, maybe 1922.

The women's hat brims are still present in this photo, but hats lost their brims and became cloches as the 1920s progressed.

These formal big group photos were very popular thereabouts - I have a couple of very large village picnic photos from Ashmore, Hampshire, of a slightly earlier date. What would be the best museum to donate them to?

Dale in New Zealand

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    I have a couple of very large village picnic photos from Ashmore, Hampshire, of a slightly earlier date. What would be the best museum to donate them to?

Dale in New Zealand
    Why not try the County archives: https://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives

I'm not sure where the photo was taken. I found it in amongst some old books. Wondering if the structure in the upper right hand corner is a bandstand or suchlike...

Depending on where it was, it could be as late as the '30s. I have a photo of my Dundee Gran in a hat much like one or two of those in the pic with my Dad who looks like an early teenager. From the family stories, I doubt whether Gran changed her hat more than once a decade or so!

Thanks. Sounds like my gran

gillylewis

I think it is between 1925 and 1930
    Gilly

Starting to feel at home

Possibly 1912 to 1920 as there are several fashions involved and as stated above hats were kept, particularly Sunday best

Hi
    could it be around 1918 looks like there is a solder at the back right

Peanut

A fountain of knowledge

Those hats in the front row are a particular style which you may be able to research further. The brim is short in front and wide at the sides, downturned. I think this dates to the late 1920s, but may also have been seen in the early 1930s. Have a look in some illustrated newspapers for a clearer definition of the style. Some of the other hats, say on the front right, are reminiscent of Dutch caps, and that will probably be a short-lived fashion that you could narrow down a bit.