Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHITE,William

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default WHITE,William

Folks,
    On William's 1859 marriage certificate in Victoria,Australia he is recorded as a 32 year old mariner,born Domar???,West Indies,son of William Possel White and Sarah? White.The section of the certificate showing parent's trade has been damaged and is unreadable.
    William is a distant link(2nd husband of my gg grandmother) so any information will be useful.
    Regards,
    Eric

janbooth

Can you give us a few more details about William WHITE, please Eric. For example, whom did he marry and did he subsequently stay in Australia. The only likely marriage I can find on Trove Newspapers in 1859 is one to an Emma, youngest daughter of George BARTLETT but if William is the 2nd husband of your gg grandmother, perhaps this is unlikely to be his marriage.

Janet

Janet,
    He married Mary Ann Gibson(nee Blanks)b 1821 but there was no newspaper report.A cousin spent time as a child with Mary Ann's daughter who related information about the family etc,including Mary Ann's death in childbirth and burial in Geelong in 1860 though records can not be found.William states he was widowed in 1852 with 2 children,yet to find births which match or William after 1860.
    While trawling through Trove i found a shipping agent in Melbourne trading as W P White and Co,this may be his father? leading to his birth in West Indies.
    William looks to only have orphan researcher (Me) and a common name.
    Eric

Dundee10

Hi Eric,

Do you not think that the surname is actually POSTLETHWAITE; a common enough surname, often misspelt. The birth of their son Walter William was registered in 1860 as POSTLEWHITE as was the death of Mary Ann, also in 1860, parents Thomas BLANKS and Sophia.

Dundee,
    Her parent's names match both my research and as shown on marriage certificate,William made his mark so not able to correct spelling.
    Off to look some more.
    Eric

Folks,
    All checks out including the death of her son,Walter William.My cousin will be delighted to know her memory wasn't slipping.
    Thank you both,
    Eric

Default I am related to William Postlewhite

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    Folks,
    On William's 1859 marriage certificate in Victoria,Australia he is recorded as a 32 year old mariner,born Domar???,West Indies,son of William Possel White and Sarah? White.The section of the certificate showing parent's trade has been damaged and is unreadable.
    William is a distant link(2nd husband of my gg grandmother) so any information will be useful.
    Regards,
    Eric
    Hi...William Postlewhite was my great, great grandfather. I found this piece on the internet: Searching for John Postlethwaite wife Sarah and son William born in Demerara Brit Guiana circa 1813. John may have been in Argentina before this in 1810. He was a planter at the time of William's birth, but also described as a trader. Had returned to Liverpool by 1841 Census described then as a marine dealer/ trader. William also went to Liverpool, where he married Elizabeth Johnson in 1842, they had two daughters,Louisa and Emily and had come to Melbourne Australia by 1852. In particular, I am looking for connections and information about John.
    https://www.cousinconnect.com/d/a/25763 Please contact me if you have any queries or information. I don't know much about William but have only today (11 Feb 2016) found out that Mary Ann Gibson (need Blanks) was his second wife. Cheers Debra

Have now found out that William Postlewhite married Matilda Mayhew in 1853 in Melbourne which means he was married at least three times.

Obviously a ladies man!
    I only have the two marriages in Victoria and the birth and death of his son,Walter.I note the baptisms of his daughters on Lan OPC,still to find the marriage.Any information earlier is appreciated.
    Is the surname Postle(white) or (whaite)?
    Eric

Hi Eric...thanks so much for replying. William was illiterate and therefore the spelling of his surname changes with every document you see. I'll start from the beginning. I have William's daughter's Wedding Certificate dated 1 January 1861 and her wedding was in Ballarat, Victoria. Her name was Emily White and she named William as her father and a mariner, Elizabeth M A Johnson as her mother, her birthplace as Liverpool on the certificate. William signed the Marriage Certificate with a X as he was illiterate. Last year I found that Cousin Connect piece I inserted earlier today about John and Sarah Postlewaite and how William was born in Demarara, British Guiana. After that, I couldn't find anything more about William; so last night I posted a help request on a Facebook Genealogy page I follow about William. I have received so much information about him. I was told William was born in 1820 and married Mary Elizabeth (the names have been swapped about) Johnson in Liverpool in 1840 - this ties up with what was in the Cousin Connect piece and Emily's marriage certificate. Then someone found the marriage information about William Postlewhite marrying Matilda Mayhew in 1853 - he's listed as a widower, mariner and both have 'signed' their names with crosses. Then it seems he married Mary Ann/Maryanne Gibson (nee Blanks) in 1859 as you've stated on this website. She died in childbirth on 30 May 1860 and was buried in the Geelong Eastern Cemetery on 1 June 1860. Their baby - Walter William - died three months later. I cannot find out when William died and it makes it difficult because his name changes. Someone has just found a naval record for him. Some of the writing's difficult to read but I think he was a mulatto/half caste which ties in with Emily being called half caste in a newspaper clipping. I have just tried to upload the naval record and don't know whether it's worked. Is there any way you can send me the document you refer to in your post on here? My email address is: sammi1957AThotmailDOTcom. I'd love to receive anything you've got and can advise you about William's daughters if you're interested. Great to hear from you. Debra
    Last edited by christanel; 12-02-2016 at 5:17 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast