Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WHITE,William

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Debra,
    Just trying to add all this to my tree.Records do seem a bit sparse.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    Debra,
    Just trying to add all this to my tree.Records do seem a bit sparse.
    Eric
    Hi Eric There's no document attached. Send it to my email address: sammi1957AThotmailDOTcom please. I have another document for you which is very interesting. Will swap with you when I get yours. By the way, what is the name of your relative who was married to William? Debra
    Last edited by christanel; 12-02-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, Eric,
    William is my 3 x great grandfather. Was born in Demerara according to his marriage certs. When not sure.I am descended from his second daughter from his marriage to Elizabeth Johnson in Liverpool.She was supposed to have died in Melbourne in 1852, but no death recorded. Married Matilda Mayhew next, had two more daughters, before she left him for a miner. He then married May Ann Gibson who died 1969 and their baby son Walter soon after.When my grt grt grandmother died, 1869 cert. said he was in NZ. However can't find any records of him there. As he was a seaman he could have gone anywhere without it being recorded. He is a real mystery.

Hannah, I am one of William's great, great, great grandchildren. His daughter Emily's son Frederick is my mother's grandfather. I'm so excited that you're related to him through Louisa, Emily's sister. Louisa's children took care of Emily while she was very sick and she died in their home in Chapel Street, South Yarra. I found this out by looking through TROVE records. I have been wondering how to contact the Watterston family in the hope they could give me more information and possibly some photos as I have never seen any but I had no idea how to find them. William was indeed a mystery and it was only earlier this year that I started finding out about him through this website and by a genealogy page on Facebook. I have Emily, and her first husband's, wedding certificate and only knew that William was a mariner, had lived in Liverpool and was illiterate due to him signing the wedding certificate with an X. Is it at all possible you can email me a scan of his and Elizabeth's marriage certificate and any photographs of Louisa and Emily and their families as I have never seen what my gr, gr, gr grandmother looks like. My email address is: sammi1957AThotmailDOTcom. If you look through these posts, you will see that I have placed information about William including a document relating to his history in the Royal Navy. He was born in 1819/20. Please respond to me via the email address I have given you. I would love to hear from you. With warm regards, Debra Wilson.
    Last edited by christanel; 05-06-2016 at 6:08 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by hannah77 View Post
    ......his marriage to Elizabeth Johnson in Liverpool.She was supposed to have died in Melbourne in 1852, but no death recorded.
    This may be Elizabeth's burial:

Reg. Number 5722
    Year 1853

POSTLETHWAITE, Elizabeth

Died MELBOURNE
    Age 26

As a record of burial it won't have much information but could be checked to see if the date is before that of William's second marriage which was also in 1853.

Thanks for that, Dundee10. Elizabeth was apparently born in 1820; so if she died in 1852/1853, she would've been 32 or 33. William's second marriage - to Matilda Mayhew - is dated April 1853. He didn't waste time getting married again. He also doesn't seem to be a nice chap at all being charged, and sentenced, with horse stealing and TROVE articles tell of him being abusive with Matilda. Documents show that Matilda, and her children, were living with a police magistrate when William was in prison. I hope there wasn't anything suspicious about Elizabeth's death.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12