Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Youshould look at "SephardicGen Resources Jewish Names in North Africa.An index compiled by Mathilde Tagger 0nline. There is reference to the POZUELO last name in Morocco- see Noms de Juifs du Maroc, Abraham Laredo Madrid,1978
    See also the place name Pozuelo de Alarcon, Madrid.

Given the various expulsion of Jews across Europe over centuries you might want to look at the Spanish origins of Pozuelo not least because of the later Gibraltar origin for Judah pre UK arrival.
    Phillip

If you look on FamilySearch - Todd Knowles Collection you will see reference to The Birth Register 1767-1881 of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregation London- the last name Pozuelo connects to Joseph Pozuelo born 3 Feb 1842; unknown Pozuelo born 13 March 1838; Julia Pozuela 7 March 1844.
    You might want to ask a look up for the marriage of Judah and Rebecca at the Bevis Marks Synagogue for circa 1830s.
    I noted the marriages of Laodicia Poswillo June qtr 1857 Lewisham 1d 861- George Karby; Julia Poswillo Sept qtr 1873 Poplar 1c 1184 - either Arthur Wire or Henry Caldcleugh

Phillip

Dear Phillip
    Thank you for these fresh leads, particularly the actual Pozuelo references.
    I'm grateful.
    Jenni

I forgot to cite the reference to the death of Joseph POZUELO in 1866 Gibraltar- see JewishGen UK Data bases Gibraltar- Joseph Pozuelo died 9 March 1866 -13 Nisan 5626.
    See also Sephardic surnames "Genealogia Hebraica: Portugal e Gibraltar" Jose Maria Abecassis - list of names of Sephardic families who returned to Portugal and Gibraltar after expulsions- I couldn't see Pozuelo cited but noted Pouzado.

How do you know that Judah Pozuela aka Poswillo aka Poswilo married Rebecca Hyman- do you know who her parents were and is her last name Hyman or Hymans?

Rebecca appears to have been educated because in the 1851 Census she is listed as a school mistress. Do you have the GRO Certificates for the various Pozuela/Poswillo individuals?
    I have read the various posts on Rootsweb regarding searches for this family and also the Karby and noted on WorldConnect a researcher who has Judah Pozuela and Rebecca plus some of their children on his family tree- this researcher appears to be Spanish or South American.
    Phillip

See list of sources cited in JCR -UK under 1851 Anglo Jewry Data Base- In particular, Bevis Marks Records Part 2 Abstracts of the Ketubot or Marriage Contracts of the Congregation from the Earliest Times until 1837, L D Barnett Oxford UP, 1949; Bevis Marks Records Part V. The Birth Register ( 1733-1918) of the Novo ( New) Cemetery of the Spanish and Portugues Jews' Congregation London , Rodrigues-Pereira, M and Loewe, C, 1997; Bevis Marks Records Part 3: Abstracts of the Ketubot or Marriage Contracts and of the Civil Registers of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews'Congregation for the period 1837-1901, G H Whitehill, 1973

Looking at the births of the Pozuelo children and bearing in mind that the records appear to have used that last name spelling you may find more data about Judah and Rebecca in the Bevis Marks Records plus their marriage. Whether or not they were married in Bevis Marks needs to be confirmed given that Laodicia,Julia, Joseph and Marcus were recorded in the 1851 Census as born Chatham or Gravesend Kent and Rebecca was born Chatham Kent so they may have married in Kent. The GRO Civil registrations date from 1837 which may mean that an earlier marriage would not be recorded.
    Phillip

Phillip

Lightbulb Poswillo m. Hymans

Hello Philip
    My earlier reply hiccupped ...
    Leon Poswillo's NZ death certificate records his parents names as Judah Poswillo and Rebecca Hymans, with their birth places.
    Family hearsay refer to Dr Marcus Hyman as Rebecca's father. Unregistered Apothecary in the Kent area?
    I have asked St Bartholomew archives for any info, but this was negative, so hearsay yet to be confirmed.
    Re: the person on WorldConnect who shares Pozuelo/Poswillo family tree. Any chance I could contact this person? I'm not familiar with this website, but this is interesting news.
    Re RootsChat, the posts are initiated by a relative with whom I am now in contact with to share new family tree info.
    Ive not been successful with Kebutot records at Bevis Marks but will follow your directions and see what happens.
    Many thanks for all your work on this family tree.
    Jenni

Here is Marcus Hyman- The Records of St Bartholomews Hospital Rochester Renewal of Lease 23 April 1823- Marcus Hyman of Chatham Apothecary- he was one of several notable Jews who were named in the 1823 lease- see National Archives UK. He may also be Mr Marcus Hyman of Exteter Street - New Patent for the Composition for Shaving without the use of razor, soap or water - 1804 Gentleman's Magazine

Note in particular- The London Gazette 13 March 1829- Bankrupt- MARCUS HYMAN formerly of Rome Lane Chatham Kent surgeon and late of King St Troy Town in the City of Rochester Kent.

I doubt if Marcus was a qualified doctor but you might want to check Medical Records.
    I will look further.
    Phillip

See National Archives UK- Kent Quarter Sessions. Clerk of the Peace Office Court of Insolvent Debtors - MARCUS HYMAN Apothecary ( Records 1807-1821). He doesn't appear under Surgeons in Pigot's Directory of Kent, 1824 - not listed under Chatham or Rochester but this maybe because he was not using the title surgeon at that time.

Phillip

Lightbulb Re Dr Marcus Hyman

Thanks for the quick work on Marcus Hyman, Dr! The joys and sorrows of life are apparent again.
    I look forward to further info as you certainly know where to locate them.
    I'm behind in my own research homework for the moment....life is getting in the way.

Q. Is it possible to find the birth record of Rebecca Hyman to link her to this Marcus and also name her mother? This will depend on Synagogue records in Chatham presumably, which raises the question of its existence?

Very grateful for your efforts Phillip.
    Jenni

This maybe a very difficult query to resolve regarding the survival of early records- see JCR-UK Chatham The Rise of Provincial Jewry-Cecil Roth. The Chatham Memorial Synagogue replaced the early synagogue and you may want to write to the current synagogue to see what, if any, records survive. The Synagogue is Ashkenazi so it's interesting that Judah and Rebecca had the births of at least 3 of their children recorded at Bevis Marks. If they were married in Chatham then they might have married in a house or other property rather than the Synagogue.
    Phillip

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast