grahamwilk

Default Durham Light Infantry 10th Battalion

A relative of mine, John James Mciver served with the above unit during WW1. He was discharged from service on the 28/12/1917 (don't know why!) Does any one know where the 10th were around this time, could be Passchendaele.Maybe someone has the War Diaries for the 10th covering the end of 1917?

Thanks

Graham.

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

They were in the 42nd Brigade of the 14th Light Division.

Try:- https://www.1914-1918.net/14div.htm

Keith

The medal card for 12961 Pte McIver just says "discharged". Sadly, his service and possible pension records seem to be among the >60% that were destroyed by fire during WW2, but I've often seen this on the cards for men who had become medically unfit. This might have been due to injury, but major killers of WW1 troops were diseases such as TB, typhoid and pneumonia because their living conditions were so terrible. This week I actually saw one medical report that specified that the medics thought the man had caught TB while being treated for something else in a military hospital in France! Easily done under those conditions - cold, wet, bad food, etc.

Do you know how long he lived after his discharge? If he had something like TB, it was normally very life-limiting. The guy I mentioned above only lived about 2 years as a civilan.

grahamwilk

Hi Lesley, he lived to be 80! on the SWB roll, cause of discharge is given as A.O. 11 of 10.8.17

Reputation beyond repute

All I can glean is that he was discharged under Kings Regulations 392 (xvi) (no longer physically fit for war service). He was entitled to the Silver War Badge (discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas). In the SWB roll, he was not marked as "permanantly and totally disabled". But note that he was actually discharged from the 3rd battalion (not the 10th). I believe the 3rd was a militia battalion.

Maybe someone has the War Diaries for the 10th covering the end of 1917?
    Yes. The National Archives have. Search the catalogue under series WO 95. Search for "10 Battalion Durham Light Infantry"

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...=&_st=adv&_rv=

grahamwilk

I think the 3rd Bn was a depot / training bn based in Newcastle, i assume soldiers were posted there prior to their discharge.

Thank you Graham.

John was in "A" Company and given that he was discharged on the 28th Dec 1917 it is unlikely he was injured around this time. The War diaries show he was in France on the 31 Dec 1915 and he had dental carries on 07/11/1915 Ref: 24555 Dental caries, RTU 22/11/1915 and at that time he had been in service 1 year 2 months and been in the Field for 5 months. My GGF Wilfred Lomas was also in "A" company but was killed near Poelcappelle on 16 Dec 1917. His body was recovered and then lost but I believe I may have found his and 5 of his comrades that where killed and also lost final resting place. I have done extensive research on the 10th Bn around this period.

I currently have a data base of over 1600 names of those who served in the 10th and I keep adding more information as I get it. Do you have John's date of birth and death so I can add those to my records. I also have records on a further 29000 DLI men from the WWI and when I have finished have around 60000.

I will have a dig around when I get a moment and see what else I can find.