Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jaydee

Question Doe Family Alton Area

I am looking for the family of JAMES DOE c1832 Mother Hannah c1797 a Widow in 1861 in same house as James. Father may be THOMAS DOE who died in 1854.
    James first wife was Elizabeth Garnett. He then married a widow Ann Andrews nee WOODS their son Charles leonard is my Husbands grandfather.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Jane Hurst

Default Doe Family

Dear Jean, Thomas Doe and his family lived in Andrews Buildings in Lenton Street/Lane from about 1841. Have you ever visited Alton and seen the cottages? They are quite attractive.
    1828 25 Sep., William Doe, father of Thomas,aged 70, was buried in Chawton.
    Sarah, his widow, moved to Alton and died in the Alton Union Workhouse in 1843, aged 92.
    1841 Census:-
    Andrews Buildings, Lenton Lane
    Thomas Doe 45 ag.lab.
    1848 March, Alton Poor Rate:-
    Thomas Doe RV £4
    1851 Census:-
    Andrews Buildings, Lenton Lane
    Thomas Doe 58 born Chawton
    Hannah “ 57 “ Chawton
    George “ 23 “ Alton
    James “ 20 “ Alton
    Henry “ 18 “ Alton
    Sarah “ 16 “ Alton
    Also
    Harriet Doe, aged 57, born Chawton - Thomas’ sister who was, I think, in the Workhouse with her daughter, Jane.
    1852 Oct., Alton Poor Rate, Andrews’ Buildings:-
    Thomas Doe RV £4
    1854 Thomas Doe died.
    1861 Alton Poor Rate, Andrews’ Buildings:-
    Widow Doe RV £4
    1861 Alton Census, Andrews Buildings:-
    Hannah Doe
    1871 Cut Pound
    Thomas and Hannah Doe:-
    Martha? bap 8/6/1827 St.L., bur 2/6/1830, aged 3
    (daughter of Thomas and Ann)?
    George bap 25/3/1829 St.L.
    James/Thomas bap 8/7/1831 Normandy Street Independent Chapel
    (baptised Thomas - but the minister could have mis-remembered when he later wrote up the register as the father was Thomas)
    Henry bap 13/10/1833 St.L.
    Sarah bap 4/5/1836 St.L.
    Emma? bap 21/10/1838 St.L., bur 2/6/1842 aged 3.
    (said to be the daughter of Thomas and Hannah Cowdrey)
    Yours Jane (Hurst)

jaydee

Thank you so much for the information Jane. It is very much appreciated
    Jean

jaydee

Thumbs up Doe family Alton Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee
    Thank you so much for the information Jane. It is very much appreciated
    Jean
    Since this first reply I have been in email contact with Jane who has been so helpful. I am amazed at the information that she has been able to pass on about my Father-in-law's family including 4 younger siblings that we knew nothing about.(Unfortunately on looking for the fathers death I found the youngest died the same year as he was born.)
    So this is by way of a public THANK YOU to Jane

Well done Jane

Jean

DOZEY

Default The Alton Doe Posse

My grandfather was raised in medstead. He was archibald Doe and was born around 1906, but old people do lie about age.
    His brother Arthur was killed in WW1 and his name is on the memorial in medstead.
    Must be related.

jaydee

Smile Archibald Doe

Hi Dozey
    quite likely to be related to my hubby. His grandfather is on there too. Charles Leonard Doe born 1879. Do you have his birth certificate to go further back, I looked on my lot but cannot see him.

Jean

CherieE

I know it's been a long time since you posted here Jaydee and Dozey but I've only just spotted this thread. My grandmother was also a Doe (from the Alton area) and I have been able to research that line of my family extensively. Jaydee.... your Charles Doe isn't in my direct line but Dozey's grandad is. Aka 'Uncle Arch', my mother is his niece and I just about remember him from when I was a very small child. My grandmother (Elsie Edith Doe, born Alton 1899) was Archibald's elder sister.

Dozey.... your grandad was born on April Fool's day 1905 in Medstead. Strangely, I was aware of Arthur Doe as my grandmother mentioned a brother who died during WW1. However, I can't find his birth record at Alton. I believe he died in 1915 and is buried in France. His is the only one of your grandad's siblings (other than Arch himself) who wasn't born in Alton.... and the only one whose birth wasn't registered at Alton.

The full list of siblings from the Alton register (your grandad was the youngest):
    Elizabeth Agnes Rebecca - b. 1896
    Frederick Albert - b.1897
    Anne Beatrice ('Nance', I remember her too) - b. 1898
    Oswald Bertram - b.1899 (twin to Elsie, died age 3 months)
    Elsie Edith - b. 1899
    George Charles - b. 1900
    Daisy - b. 1901 (died aged 1 month)
    Hilda Isabel - b. 1903
    Archibald - b. 1905

Their parents were Frederick Doe (b. 1861, Alton) and Elizabeth Ann Doe (nee Cox).
    Frederick's father = George Doe (b. 1829, Alton)
    George Doe's father = Thomas Doe (b. 1790, Chawton)
    Thomas Doe's father = William Doe (died 1828, aged 70, Chawton). Not sure if he was also born in Chawton (in 1758)

By the way.... Thomas's sister/William's daughter Mary (b. about 1796, Chawton) was a maid at Jane Austen's home at Chawton and is mentioned in some of Jane's letters.

CherieE

Jane and Jaydee....

I've checked my tree and note:
    Your James Doe (b 1831) was the younger brother of George (b. 1829) - George was my great, great grandfather.
    Their parents (Thomas Doe and Hannah - nee Cowdery) also had an elder son (William, b. 1820, d 1900 in Alton workhouse) and their youngest child was Lucy (b. 1838) who may be the 'Emma' you refer to.
    You may be interested to know that Ann Andrews registered the death of Hannah in 1875.

jaydee

Hi again Jane and Cherie
    I was very surprised to see my post come up again.
    I found out that Charles Leonard also died in the WW1 he died on the 9-8-1916 and is buried in Potijze Chateau Wood cemetery.
    He was a lance corporal in the Hampshire regiment.
    On the record his wife has remarried and is Edith M Dymond.

Jean

ladydoe

just found this thread, so hoping someone can still help. we have been tracing my husbands family and are a bit unsure at a point with a william doe born c1819. The one we have that we know is right thus far is William Doe (1819) married to Hannah Doe (we then believe he remarried 2 more times to a Mary Carpenter, then a Susan 20 years his junior) We have found a birth and baptism record for a william doe 1819 born in Alton which matches with a lot of earlier info on this thread. But the william Doe we have from 1819 on the 1841 census shows him at 20 years old and a cabinet maker but showing as born in marylebone.
    we are wondering if the Alton William Doe is the same william doe we are researching and that william doe simply put marylebone for the census if 1841 and 1851.
    I really hope ive made sence with what ive typed here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast