Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

William Doe (1819) married to Hannah Doe
    Presumably one of their children is an ancestor and you have the birth certificate. What's the mother's maiden name? Was it Webb?

If so, presumably you have the marriage certificate. The PR is in the LMA collection on Ancestry. William DOE was of John Street, son of John DOE, tallow chandler.

Looking through the burials, there's a John DOE of John Street who was buried on 13 Dec 1840 at the age of 46.

Does any of that tie up with what you have?

CherieE

Default William Doe b. 1819

I know there were many Does born/living in Alton in the 19th century ladydoe. A large percentage were the descendants of William (likely born in Marylebone 1758, died Chawton, Hants 1828). William had at least 5 children (all registered at Alton) and a gaggle of grandchildren. I have William Doe (b. 1819, Chessington, Surrey) as one of the latter on my tree. This is how William (b 1819) fits into my tree:

1) William (1758-1828) m Sarah Arnold (1761-1843) of Bentley, Hants in Alton (1783).
    Children: Elizabeth (b 1784), William (1791), Thomas (1794), Mary (1796), Harriet (1805).

2) Thomas (1794-1854) m Hannah Cawdrey (1796-1875) of Heckfield, Hants in Chessington, Surrey in 1817. On the first census in 1841 they appear as resident in Alton but their first four children were all born in Chessington (the rest are registered in Alton).
    Children: Jane (b 1817), William (1819), Caroline (1822), Anne (1824), Martha (1827), George (1829), James and Thomas (1831), Henry (1833), Sarah (1836), Emma (1838).

3) William (b Chessington 1819, d Alton 1900) therefore lived in Alton (and appears on the census there) but was not born in Alton. Looks like the opposite of your William so probably not the same one.

However, the Marylebone connection is interesting as your William and mine may both be descended from the Doe family branch which landed in Marylebone (some temporarily) in the mid 18th century. It looks likely that my William Doe (b. Marylebone 1758) was the son of Thomas (1730-1770) who was born and died in Suffolk. He married Mary Stephens (1738-1768) in 1757 in Empshott, Hants- she was born in Alton and died in Suffolk. They had three children that I know of: 'my' William b 1758 plus Mary (1759) and Hannah (1762). The daughters were both born in Hawkley, Hants. It's likely there were more children as Mary didn't die until 1768 (aged only 30). At some point after 1762 Thomas/Mary moved to Suffolk together. I suspect that her early death was the reason for son William's return to the Alton area (where he stayed for the rest of his life).

Thomas-of-Suffolk was a pretty mobile person for that era.It looks like he moved to Marylebone and met Mary Stephens there. I also believe he had a brother (Robert, b Redgrave Suffolk 1733) who also appears in Marylebone around the same time as Thomas. I'm wondering if your William descends from him?

I'm not sure how useful this is but it may help you to discount a few 'Does' if nothing else.

Good luck.

christie

Hello
    I have found the information given very interesting. I am interested in Elizabeth Agnes Rebecca born 1896.
    She married at Swansea in 1917, to a Simon John Miles who is on my tree, I have knowledge of his family, and war records but nothing after his marriage.
    Any small information would be helpful, thank you.

CherieE

Hi Christie,
    Apologies for the late response to your post. Elizabeth Agnes Rebecca Doe (birth registered Apr-Jun quarter 1896 in Alton) was my great Aunt. Her sister Elsie Edith (b 1899 Alton, d 1984 Great Wakering, Essex) was my maternal grandmother. I have Elizabeth's husband Simon John Miles on my tree. Not sure how helpful the following info on him is to you:

Born: 24 Feb 1897 in Penydre, Neath, Wales

1901 census: Age 4, living at home of grandparents (Simon and Catherine Miles age 55 and 61, he a mason's labourer) in Neath. Also in household are Simon and Catherine's children: John, 29; Richard, 27; Mary, 19; Edward, 16). Grandparents and their son John spoke English and Welsh. The others English only.

1911 census: Age 14. Living Dulais Higher, Glamorgan in the household of his Uncle and Aunt (Edward and Mary Thomas aged 37 and 30, he a colliery labourer). Simon then known just as 'John', occupation 'colliery hewer', spoke English and Welsh.

1917: Married Elizabeth Agnes Rebecca Doe in Swansea.

The following info is passed on courtesy of my mother (niece to Elizabeth Doe). Some of this is hearsay (info my mum received from her mother) but it may help.

My mother recalls that Elizabeth and Simon John Miles definitely had three daughters ('Kath', Eileen and 'Syb' - Sybil). Mum recalls Eileen as being pretty with dark hair, and she ended up living in Essex at some point. No more info on 'Syb and 'Kath''.

Simon John was known as 'Jack' by the Doe family and he seems to have been a bit of a 'no-no' subject with my grandmother (Elizabeth's sister). It seems that, by the late 1930s, 'Jack' had disappeared from Elizabeth's life as she (and the children) were then living with 'Len Harding' in Wales. My grandmother told my mum that Jack 'went off to become a tramp'. It seems that Jack and Elizabeth split up at some point prior to the 1930s. By the late 1940s Elizabeth and Len were living in Alton - my mother and grandmother visited them there. Elizabeth was still living there when she died sometime in 1964. Stephen Leonard Harding (b 1903) died in Alton in 1991.

Elizabeth Agnes Rebecca Miles married Stephen Leonard Harding in Surrey in 1952 so I assume that Elizabeth and Jack had divorced by then, or possibly Jack had died.

christie

Hello Cherie. Your information is very helpful. My recent interest was due to the centenary of WW1, when I was able to find Jack in a local paper. His uncle William Edward Miles, had written Private John Miles of the 9th Welsh, has been wounded for the third time, and is now at a London hospital progressing favourably. Private Miles is a Neath boy and in pre-war days worked at the Seven Sisters Colliery. He is 19 years of age.------ I live in Neath, and he was the only family member I had lost track of. He was probably to old for the 2nd WW. We thought he had died in London from the archives, but there is also a death John S Miles at Western Super Mare. Thank you for your reply. Christie

CherieE

Hi Christie,
    Glad the info was a little helpful. It's sad that, whatever happened between Jack and Elizabeth, it appears that he didn't have contact with his children after the split. A sad outcome for someone who gave so much in WW1. Good luck with your research and I would be interested to know if you find out which of the death records relate to him.
    Best wishes, Cherie.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hilda Isabel Doe was my grandmother. And I just remeber Elizabeth Agnes (Aunt Liz) and Elsie Edith who I think was called Aunt Fan and Anne Beatice (Aunt Nance).
    I am looking for information on Hilda's husband who was George Percival Holland. He had three daughters and one son. Hilda (my mother, died 1998), Isabel (still living) and the youngest Phylis who died a few years ago in Australia, and Monty still living. Can any one expand on George?
    Last edited by Arthur2075; 22-08-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Reputation beyond repute

I am looking for information on Hilda's husband who was George Percival Holland.
    I don't know where you got this from but according to the GRO index Hilda I DOE married Wilfred P HOLLAND in 1924. The 1939 register backs this up.

I would suggest that you do a bit of basic family history research. I would stick to tried and tested methods - getting certificates!. There's no excuse for not having your own grandmother's birth certificate,

The 1924 marriage certificate will supply the basic information on Wilfred Holland that you can then build on with further research. The 1939 register will also be of value.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur2075 View Post
    Hilda Isabel Doe was my grandmother. And I just remeber Elizabeth Agnes (Aunt Liz) and Elsie Edith who I think was called Aunt Fan and Anne Beatice (Aunt Nance).
    I am looking for information on Hilda's husband who was George Percival Holland. He had three daughters and one son. Hilda (my mother, died 1998), Isabel (still living) and the youngest Phylis who died a few years ago in Australia, and Monty still living. Can any one expand on George?
    Have you mis-remembered your grandfather's first name. because the marriage registration says Wifred P. Holland, and a birth registration for a Wilfred Percival in June quarter 1902 Alton registration district fits with the birthdate of a Wilfred P Holland living with your grandmother, mother and aunts in the 1939 Register. I haven't looked for a death for a George Percival Holland, but there's a Wilfred P death registration in 1966 in Innsbruck (Austria) - is this him?

A thought as to where you might have got George from: do you have your mother's birth certificate? My grandfather changed his middle name when he married and on the birth registrations of his children he's shown as Frederick instead of William. Wilfred might have done the same, except he changed his first name.

(I know this cross-posted with Peter's reply, but because there's additional stuff I've kept it as originally written.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

You are both correct. It is Wilfred that is my mistake. I should know as Wilfred is my middle name!
    I am very new to this and there are so many names floaing about. Will be more careful next time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast