Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariner records

Andyskaz

Default Mariner records

Hi,

I am trying to research my husbands gr gr grandfather. He is listed as a Mariner in the 1881 Census, and on the ship Kenley. Born in Sunderland.

I am having trouble locating any mariner records for him or even his birth record. On his wedding certificate his father is also listed as a Mariner (deceased).

I also know that in later years he was a ferryman in Hartlepool. Again I can find no information.
    Any help on this matter would be most appreciated please.
    Thank you
    Regards
    kaz

Reputation beyond repute

A census reference would be helpful

Andyskaz

Do you mean a link to the 1881 census?

Reputation beyond repute

Never mind, I've found the census return. The important information is the official number of the Kenley - 76973.

The census reference, by the way is RG11/4971 f 213

I think your problem here is the availability of records. The first place to look is definitely the research guide

The CLIP website mentioned in the research guide should help in locating surviving crew lists. The National Archives have an 1888 crew list.

Here are the vessel's details courtesy of CLIP - https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/view...IP%C2%A0images

The crew lists, when you get to see them, may or may not be much use depending what you're hoping to find.

Andyskaz

Thank You!

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums andyskaz
    Peter has given you some great information re the service record of your husband's grandfather.
    If you would like further help finding more information about this man, such as his birth and parents, you could post all the details you do have on him eg who he married, when, children, and our sleuths can take a look.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Andyskaz

Thank you Christina.

His name was George Walter Watkins. Born 1848 in Sunderland England, yet cannot find a birth record. He was a mariner and ferryman. His father is also George Walter Watkins, and also a mariner. I cannot find who his mother was.

George Walter Watkins married a Naomi Lewis (waiting for certificate to confirm) in Oct 1873, I think they married in Wales. Naomi Died in Hartlepool in July 1876. George and Naomi had one daughter Charlotte Anne Watkins Born in Jan 1876 in Hartlepool, England. Charlotte Anne Watkins died in 1926 in Hartlepool.

George Walter Watkins then married Hannah Pearce/Pearse in 1877 in Hartlepool, England. Hannah was born Jan 1862 in Hartlepool, she died in 1931 in Hartlepool. They had four children:

John G Watkins B: October 1877 in Hartlepool, D: Dec 1950 in West Hartlepool.
    Eleanor Slater Mary Watkins B: October 1879 in Hartlepool, D: Dec 1942 in Ripon, Yorkshire West Riding, England.
    Walter Watkins, B: July 1881 in Hartlepool, D: Sep 1955 in Durham South Eastern, Durham, England .
    Janet Watkins, B: Sep 1883 in Hartlepool, D: Apr 1915 in Sedgefield, Durham, England. (my husband gr grandmother).

As I said any help is very much needed and appreciated, thanks to Peter above I have the information on the ship 'Kenley' now, which I know George was on in 1881. not sure how I go about tracing the rest of his career, like what ships he was on and when etc. I have been searching for a long time for this information but am stumped.

Thank you

kaz

Reputation beyond repute

not sure how I go about tracing the rest of his career, like what ships he was on and when etc.
    All you can do is try the crew lists. You may be able to work back a bit. There is advice on the CLIP web site.

Andyskaz

Hi and Thanks!

I have been given a copy of George Walter Watkins Maritime History from 1866, I think it covers about 4 years, during which he was an apprentice on the ship 'Safeguard'. It's all very interesting seeing the places he went. I have all the Lloyds Lists of where the Safeguard went during that time and when. It also lists things like the ships Master, owner, food allowances, and even a collision during which the Safeguard lost all it's masts and needed repair.

It also seems correct that George married Naomi Lewis in Glamorgan, at a place called Briton Ferry. I have all the certificate details, but this is where it gets more confusing! He lists his father on that marriage certificate (1873) as CORNELIUS FERLEY, seaman.
    Yet as mentioned above on his second marriage certificate in 1877 to Hannah Pearce as GEORGE WALTER WATKINS, mariner!

I have still had no luck finding his birth, and am wondering if he could have been born at sea?

Regards

kaz

Loves to help with queries

I think it's very possible that a George Walter WATKINS was his biological father and his mother could be Mary BRECKON/BRECKEN who married Cornelius FAIRLEY (various spellings) in 1851. There is a birth registered at Darlington March Q 1848 of a George BRECKEN. The 1851 census records family groupd as Cornelia FARLEY, wife Mary FARLEY and 2 year old Walter

Source Citation

Class: HO107; Piece: 2397; Folio: 188; Page: 59; GSU roll: 87075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast