Loves to help with queries

Default McMullen Tailors & Haberdashers

My great-grandfather John Edward McMullen was a tailor on Conran Street, Manchester and in Manchester city centre, late 1800s to 1940s. His wife Jemima was a furrier and they lived in Back Irk Street. In later years the shops were taken over by his sons.
    I am looking for any information on his father William McMullen born 1844 in Ireland. John Edward was apprenticed to his father on 1881 census. What happened to him?

Would they be related to the widowed William McMullin, 37, Ireland, tailor/trouser maker of Back Irk St in the 1881 census? He has a son William apprenticed and son John scholar....

Yes, that's him. Just looking for any additional information of what happened to him.

But in the record I found, William was the apprentice, not John...

Have you tried FreeBMD to look for his death?

Yes William first but John Edward became head of business and passed the businesses on to his sons

I am revisiting my original post some time ago. Since then I have more information on William McMullen he was b.02 Mar 1839 in Belfast, Ireland d.1897 in Manchester. He was a widower from first wife Jane Finnigan left with 4 children to look after, remarried Mary Jane Richardson in 1889. He married MJR in St Michael's, Cheetham which I suspect is Angel Meadow. I'm still looking for any missing information like where did he learn to become a tailor and trouser maker? Any suggestions appreciated.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by daisynook View Post
    I am revisiting my original post some time ago. Since then I have more information on William McMullen he was b.02 Mar 1839 in Belfast, Ireland d.1897 in Manchester. He was a widower from first wife Jane Finnigan left with 4 children to look after, remarried Mary Jane Richardson in 1889. He married MJR in St Michael's, Cheetham which I suspect is Angel Meadow. I'm still looking for any missing information like where did he learn to become a tailor and trouser maker? Any suggestions appreciated.
    Who was is father and what was his occupation as they usualy followed in Father's footsteps.

His father was Patrick McMullen b.Ireland 1814-1870 died in Miles Platting, Manchester, I've no idea what his father's occupation was.