Thread: Hilda Somers

Starting to feel at home

Default Hilda Somers

I am trying to find out what happened to Hilda Somers and her sister Elsie. They both lived in Wombwell South Yorkshire but when Elsie went to work in Guernsey for Rev. Brockway Hilda went for a visit shortly before the German occupation. Nothing was heard from them for months then word came that Hilda aged 38 had died in September 1941. All I have found so far is two newspaper articles giving the above details. I am unsure what happened to Elsie. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, Rev Alfred B Brockway was my paternal grand father, he married Elsie after the death of his wife,in the early 1950s and he died in 1952. Elsie continued to share the family house with my mother (who also came from Wombwell), father Bernard, and my paternal great grandfather who was also Alfred Brockway. My grandfather was severely incapacitatedfor several years before he died. Elsie died when I was about 4 yrs old, I do remember her,v short and plump with grey curly hair. She died in 1962/63, I believe she had a heart attack at home but I have never sought to check that. I was told about Hilda's visit just before the evacuation and it' surprising she didn't return to Yorkshire then.I understand Hilda had a chest infection but with shortages of food and medicine during the Occupation years many people unfortunately succumbed to infections.

Starting to feel at home

Hi Jan,
    Thank you for the information. I live across the road from Wombwell cemetery and regularly walk past the
    Somers family plot which has a memorial to "Hilda Somers who died in Guernsey in 1941", I so wanted to know what had happened to her and her sister. Thank you forgiving me the answer.