Default NATHAN BENJAMIN -CATHERINE MOSES

This new thread should be read in conjunction with the earlier thread Louisa Benjamin-Henry Napthali Simmonds. In the earlier thread I posted initial data on Louisa Benjamin which included brief reference to her parents Nathan Benjamin and Catherine Moses. This new thread adds data on Nathan and Catherine. In his will 1846 see Synagogue Scribes Will Extract NA 059 and National Archives UK Records Nathan Benjamin of Little Charlotte Street Blackfriars Road London left bequests to his wife Catherine and referred to his sons- Abraham, Joseph, Benjamin and Henry- Benjamin and Henry were employed at Westminster Bridge Road in Benjamin and Co. Nathan referred to his daughters but not by name and his witnesses were John Moses 6 Cross Court Surrey Lane and Lewis Moses 3 Russel Court Drury Lane.

As my Jacobs cousins are aware I Moses links to one of my Hart lines namely Rosa Hart daughter of Benjamin Hart clothes salesman, glover, tailor of Holywell Street married Henry Moses. To date I have not identified the parents of Henry or his siblings.

Catherine Moses and Nathan Benjamin were married in the Great Synagogue London on 13 May 1813 - see Synagogue Scribes Record GSM 148/28- Nathan's father's Hebrew name was Alexander from Leigh Essex and Catherine's father Hebrew name was Yehuda.
    Reference to JewishGen UK Data base- Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance Policies recorded:
    Nathan Benjamin -Leigh Essex tobacconist 15.09.1817 insurance on his furniture in his late dwelling house Southend; Nathan Benjamin-Leigh Essex in the house of Wolf Benjamin 13.05.1824; Nathan Benjamin Dealer in tea and tobacconist Leigh Essex 23.02.1819 and shop keeper near "The Ship Inn" Leigh 24.02.1825.
    Nathan then moved to London and the Insurance records indicate- Nathan Benjamin Wine and spirit mercahnt and tea dealer 14 Charlotte Street Blackfriars Road 21.10.1834-08.10.1840 and 3.10.1844 trading as Benjamin and Co and 12.10.1844 Wine and spirit merchant,tea dealer and tobacconist 14 Charlotte Street Blackfriars Road.

Importantly, there is reference also to Nathan being a lodger with Wolf Benjamin wine merchant Leigh 24.01.1813.

Essex Deeds of Conveyance ( Lease and Release) show that Wolf Benjamin of Leigh and wife Kitty; Moses Lazarus of Rochford distiller and wife Ester; Abraham Lion Moses of Nightingale Lane East Smithfield Middlesex and wife Abby were jointly involved in a £50 conveyance to Henry Lambirth of Writtle, brewer for a messuage abutting Kings Head in Prittlewell in 1805. Wolf Benjamin was also a soap maker and appears to have bought the "Three Horseshoes inn re-named The Kings Head in Prittlewell in 1803 where he was trading as a wine and liquor merchant.

The records suggest that Nathan and Benjamin were related but I have yet to identify fully the relationship.

Following the death of Nathan in 1846 Catherine moved to 128 Strand by the 1851 Census. I will provide further data.
    Phillip

Default ABRAHAM LYON MOSES-MOSES LAZARUS

As a follow up to #1 of this thread the following data confirms the relationship between Wolf Benjamin, Abraham Lyon Moses and Moses Lazarus. In the will of Moses Lazarus see Synagogue Scribes NA 878 13 March 1813 Little Alie Street and also full will National Archives UK and Ancestry.Com - Moses Lazarus spouse Esther and he names his sons in law as Wolf BENJAMIN; Joel MYERS; Abraham Lyon MOSES; Abraham HYAM; Abraham ABRAHAMS. He also specifies that he wants his son Lyon Lazarus to join Benjamin and Co and not Moses Levy and Co.
    Synagogue Scribes GSM024/7 records- marriage Abraham Lion Moses Hebrew name Abraham Leib -father's Hebrew name Hirsh Moses- 26 August 1795 -Abigail Lazarus Hebrew name Chava- father's Hebrew name Moshe Rochford

Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts NA 727 Abraham Lyon Moses Finsbury Circus City of London 1854

Phillip

The 1841 Census shows Nathan Benjamin in Prittlewell Essex- HO 107 337 14 15 25 (Crown Copyright,TNA)
    Hope Inn-Nathan Benjamin 60 Wine Merchant born in county.
    Other records including Insurance Policies show Wolf Benjamin and Moses Lazarus wine merchants Rochford Essex 02.10.1799; Wolf Benjamin wine and brandy merchant Leigh Essex 01.03.1803; Wolf Benjamin Farmer The Folly Prittlewell 06.09.1804- 24.12.1805 and Soap Manufacturer Leigh Essex 04.09.1812; Moses Lazarus- "Lazarus Brewery", wine vaults, granary, distillery, and soap manufacturing in Leigh Essex and Rochford.

Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default Moses LAZARUS Joel MYERS Jacob CANSTATT, CERF

In reference to Moses LAZARUS of Rochford, Essex, and his son-in-law Joel MYERS, I have found an item in the National Archives that may relate to them as well as to others.

It is at https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C6928930

Reference: HO 44/44/87
    Description:
    ff 206-223. Report on petition for denization and affidavits of Jacob Canstall (Mannheim), Gabriel Israel Brandon (Hambro), Gabriel Jaytasac (Bellegrodo), Lyon Phillips (Poland), John Cerf (Nideranheim), Joel Myers (Prussia) and Moses Lazarus (Worms)
    Date: 1801 June 25

I am trying to identify those LAZARUS of Worms families in the records on synagoguescribes.com. There is no Moses LAZARUS identified by the toponym Worms; however, Cecil Roth believed that Moses Lazarus of Rochford was from Worms (see below).

I can't afford to order this document and am hoping someone will be able to go to the National Archives and look at it for me. In the meantime, this is what I have found out about some of the men named.

As Phillip noted above, a Joel MYERS married Frances, a daughter of Moses LAZARUS of Rochford. The marriage is entered on synagoguescribes.com NA373, but the bride's father isn't named. It is in the Notes that Cecil Roth is quoted from The Rise of Provincial Jewry.

<Moses Lazarus, who hailed from Worms, was generally known from his place of residence as Moses Rochford, and is the ancestor of half of the upper stratum of Anglo-Jewry of older vintage. In 1791, his daughter Frances was married under the auspices of the New Synagogue to Joel Myers, of Maldon.>

As C. Roth doesn't give his source for Moses Lazarus of Rochford hailing from Worms, this isn't conclusive. And his son-in-law Joel Myers of Maldon may or may not be Joel Myers (Prussia) of the petition.

However, another pair of men in the petition probably are related Jacob Canstall (Mannheim)is almost certainly an erroneous transcription for Jacob CANSTATT of Mannheim. Synagoguescribes Will Extracts includes NA1108 Leah CERF. In the will are John, her husband, and Sarah CANSTATT, adopted daughter.

If, as the notes state, Sarah Canstatt's brother was Nathan Jacob CANSTATT, she was a daughter of Jacob Canstatt, presumably he named in the petition. Sarah's sister would therefore be Louisa, who married Maurice David DYTE:

synagoguescribes.com Reference GSM 332/27
    Event Marriage
    Date 1838 [14 Mar]

Family Name DYTE
    Forenames Maurice
    Hebrew Name Meir (Desc. from a Privd Member)
    Father’s Hebrew Name David

Family Name CANSTATT
    Forenames Louisa
    Hebrew Name Brynah
    Father’s Hebrew Name Jacob

Maurice David DYTE's mother was Hannah, daughter of Henry Hirsh b. Eliezer pencil maker and Parla LAZARUS. (There are other Dyte (and Dight) entries on synagoguescribes, and also for Henry and Parla, including birth records of their children and extracts from Parla Lazarus's Will.)

This complicates matters. I can't recall other connections between Henry pencil-maker and Parla Lazarus and the Moses Lazarus family of Rochford. On the other hand, Henry-Parla's family has links to the family of Moses b. Eliezer LAZARUS of Exeter, Devon, including through the DIETZ/DYTE/DIGHT family (stationers and pen and quill manufacturers). for example, Maurice Louis DIGHT married Esther LAZARUS, a granddaughter of Moses Lazarus of Exter and daughter of David Lazarus, also a stationer and pencil and quill manufacturer. (David Lazarus, born Exeter etc. 1792 is in Exeter in the census records for 1841, 1851 and 1861).

The early sources for the Great Synagogue include GSMEM (Great Synagogue Member) 280 R 277 Hirsch b. Leizer Pencil Maker, whose surname is identified as LAZARUS in the record of his son Aaron's marriage. It's not clear if Henry or Leizer is the pencil-maker, a problem with how Hebrew with toponyms or occupations are recorded (and then broken down and transcribed on synagoguescribe.com). It seems likely that this Henry who is a member of the Great Synagogue is also the husband of Parla (Aaron doesn't otherwise appear as a son of Henry-and-Parla, as far as I know).

There is also at this time a Moses b. Eliezer LAZARUS who was a member of the Great Synagogue - MPS 1794-95 - he was a subscriber to the Midrash Phineas, as was a Henry Zvi Hirsch LAZARUS.

I don't have a father's name for Moses Lazarus of Rochford.

This is not all the information about the LAZARUS of Worms family (which includes a father Eliezer), but the rest isn't directly related to the Petition for Denization. I wonder if all those named in it were in some way related, and if so, how.

Gabriel Israel Brandon (Hambro) appears to have been a notable member of the Hambro Synagogue, but I only glanced very quickly at Google search results, so don't even think of quoting me.

Gabriel Jaytasac (Bellegrodo) - A Bellegrodo Google search suggests Belgrado or Belgrade, Serbia. Jaytasac doesn't appear to be an actual name, so may be another wrong transcription, or a phonetic spelling of a Serbian name?

Any further enlightenment will be most welcome.

Eve