Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thewideeyedowl

A big 'thank you' to everyone who took an interest in this thread. It really was a breakthrough. As a result, I have now registered EZARD as a One-Name Study with the Guild of One-Name Studies. See this thread: https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ighlight=EZARD.

Owl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hopefully another step in the EZARD direction!

thewideeyedowl

Default Ezard&Rowbotham/Ezard&Sykes: Poor Rate Books

A little more information has now come to light, thanks to some recent freebie time on FMP. They have some of 19th century Manchester Poor Rate Books, which include entries for Ezard & Rowbotham and Ezard & Sykes. (Also, if I remember aright, some entries for Charles Ezard on his own - but I was trying to snaffle up all sorts of info, particularly censuses, during the short time available so didn't plough through years and years of Poor Rate Books.)

I concentrated on the entries for 1868 and 1873, which show intriguing changes to the Iron Foundry business:

1868 (24 November)
    Ezard & Rowbotham were the occupiers of the Iron Foundry and adjacent House, 'off Phillips Park Road', District: Beswick. The properties were sandwiched between a Chemical Works and a Weaving Shed.
    Rateable values: Chemical Works £33 5s 0d, Iron Foundry £25, Weaving Shed £277 10s.

So the Weaving Shed was easily the biggest and most valuable of those industrial properties; no surprise, because of the then dominance of the cotton industry in the area.

The owner of the Iron Foundry was a man called Jeremaiah SMITH.

1873 (January)
    Ezard & Sykes were now the owners of 'Works Building and Yard', Ashfield Street (which seems to be off PPRoad); Township of Bradford. (It is the last entry on the page.)
    Rateable value: £83 5s 0d.

Would it be right to assume that the Iron Foundry of 1868 is the same as the Works Building and Yard of 1873? If so, the figures suggest that it is now prospering. But there was an awful lot of industrial activity in this area at that time, so the locations might have been different.

Can anyone give some guidance?

Owl

Bradford & Beswick butt one another, have you looked at trade directory?

One thought, with you mentioning Phillips Park, there is a large MCC run cemetery there....had a quick look at the site quite a few EZARD's listed in the cemetery

https://www.burialrecords.manchester....GenSearch.aspx

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 12 May 1883

This article indiacates the amounts owing by Charles EZARD

Embezzlement by 2 employees Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser 28 March 1885

thewideeyedowl

Thank you for your help with this. Before posting yesterday, I had been looking at GENUKI and then the Vision of Britain pages on Bradford and Beswick, and so realised that they must be very close (.4 miles, acc to GENUKI). A major problem with investigating the industrial history of this area is that the heritage has been swept away during waves of modernisation. Have found a very informative site on The Industrial Heritage of Britain (actually, the north west near Manchester!) by Peter J Whitehead. This is the page on East Manchester: https://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/e-mcr/e-mcr.htm. It seems that the Bradford/Ancoats are had all the pre-requisites for industrial development - flat land on clay, a coal mine, plentiful water, good communications etc etc; bricks were made from the clay, lime was brought in fro Derbyshire. It's just very interesting.

And as an off-topic aside, if you navigate to the home page of that site you can quickly get to the Audenshaw and Buxworth War Memorials [Menu>Great War]; they have been photographed and all the names transcribed. No Ezards, though.

You have finally nudged me into registering with Manchester to view the burial records - have been meaning to do that for ages. FindAGrave has lots of Ezards buried in the Philips Park Cemetery - mainly in the Methodist (general Non-Conformist(?)) area.

And I will try to source that newspaper article - Ezards seem to have a habit of being bad with money!

Again, many thanks for all your help and interest with this one.

Owl

You have finally nudged me into registering with Manchester to view the burial records - have been meaning to do that for ages. FindAGrave has lots of Ezards buried in the Philips Park Cemetery - mainly in the Methodist (general Non-Conformist(?)) area.
    You should be able to see the burial register complete with who purchased the plot and the address of the deceased. Hopefully this source may tidy up loose/ missing persons on your tree.

East Manchester ( nr Man City's ground) is still a bit of an industrial area, and yes Bradford / Beswick /Audenshawe all butt one another. Not an area I would visit, just pass through!

There is an old map of Manchester where you can overlay to current day This is not what I was looking for but may help
    https://manchester.publicprofiler.org/

https://manchester.publicprofiler.org/beta/index.php

The news items I got from FMP unfortunately my snipping tool doesn't work!

Hi Owl

I have sent you a pm re the articles geneius found.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Jack Richards

Hi friends
    Geneius mentioned "East Manchester ( nr Man City's ground) is still a bit of an industrial area, and yes Bradford / Beswick /Audenshawe all butt one another. Not an area I would visit, just pass through!"

Well the area around East Manchester has changed and is changing daily - new housing properties between Ashton Old Road and Ashton New Road - "yuppee" developments (my wording) and they are very nice. The Etihad Stadium and over the new bridge to the Man. City training complex is magnificent - show me a better sports area anywhere in England. I could go on and write more. As to Audenshawe - well Alderley Edge and the like are better to look at, but community wise????

Respectfully suggest you re-visit this area around the Etihad Stadium and pause awhile. (vbg)

Regards Jack

Thanks Jack

Unlikely to visit Ethiad as I live with ManU supporters! Last time I was up in the Beswick area was in the 1980's and it was still v industrialised. Yupee development is recent and presume part of re generation...............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast