Thread: Deed Poll

grahamwilk

Default Deed Poll

Hello, a relative of mine went under the surname of her partner but never married him. After his death she married under this mans name in 1976. How can i find out if she changed her name by Deed Poll ? would it be possible to marry in 1976 using an unofficial surname ?

Thanks Graham.

Nicolina

you can use any name you like as long as it's not meant to defraud, so it's possible she didn't use Deed Poll. As for her marriage, one would expect her to use the name she was known by. When I married in 1969, I didn't have to show proof of my surname.

Reputation beyond repute

The National Archives guidance is worth reading. I believe you can only check enrolled deed polls.

So far as I know you marry using the name you normally use. The current instructions to clergy are that the players have to produce evidence of current use of name eg utility bill, driving licence, bank statement.

What is the bride's status as shown on the marriage certificate and is any alternative surname shown? You have got a copy of the marriage certificate haven't you?

Knowledgeable and helpful

You seem to be confused about names.
    Here in the UK the name one uses is ones official name; the only, repeat only way to change a name is to use another name.
    Everything else, newspaper announcements through to Deed Poll is only a way of announcing to the world that a change of name has occurred.

There were comparatively few announcements of change of name by Deed Poll though in the last 30 or perhaps even 40 years this may have changed.
    When I married in the 1980s no proof of name was required.

Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 15-03-2015 at 7:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

grahamwilk

I haven't got a copy of the certificate but the marriage index states she used her deceased partners name, not her previous husbands name or maiden name !!

Reputation beyond repute

The GRO index is not a substitute for a certificate. The status (single/widow etc) that she claimed is relevant to answering your question.

I'm not at all sure that the GRO index necessarily includes every surname shown on the certificate.