stevenwright02

Default Daily Telegraph Family Announcements

Recently came across a letter addressed to my paternal grandparents from a friend of theirs congratulating them on the birth of their son [my father].

The letter starts "I must send our congratulations to yourself and your husband on the birth of your son. The announcement of which I read in the Daily Telegraph"

I am keen to view the announcement, however the Daily Telegraph doesn't appear to feature in the British Newspaper Archive.

Any guidance on where/how can search for and find the annoucement will be greatly welcomed.

Wilkes_ml

What year was the announcement?

This may be stating the obvious, but have you checked the Telegraph's site? I know of a couple of papers that have their own archives online.

Wilkes_ml

I found this:

historic-newspapers dot co dot uk/ old-newspapers/ daily-telegraph

edited to say that this is probably more of a "gift" site, rather than an archive site, so I would agree with Leslie and see if the Telegraph have their own site..maybe send them an email if their back issues are not online, and ask if they have their own archive.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 12-03-2015 at 6:41 PM. Reason: Direct link to commercial site removed

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You can order in copies of the Telegraph (or virtually any other UK paper) for viewing at the British Library.
    Hopefully you can find more detailed 'exactly-how-to' instructions in this link
    https://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/stp/stpancrasrr.html

Note that it's highly unlikely that copies are held on site, so you do have to order them to be sent from Boston Spa.

Pam

stevenwright02

The announcement was in 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    This may be stating the obvious, but have you checked the Telegraph's site? I know of a couple of papers that have their own archives online.
    The archive on the Telegraph's site (www.telegraph.co.uk/archive) only goes back as far as 2000

The site https://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk...ily-telegraph/ appears to be to purchase them as reprodutions. The exact date of announcement is not known as there are several days between the DOB and the date of the letter.

Steven - we appear to have cross-posted so you may not have seen post #5.

Pam

stevenwright02

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You can order in copies of the Telegraph (or virtually any other UK paper) for viewing at the British Library.
    Hopefully you can find more detailed 'exactly-how-to' instructions in this link
    https://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/stp/stpancrasrr.html
    Unfortunately at first glance it doesn't appear that the copies held go back far enough, as the website says "The most popular of these are the UK broadsheets: the Daily Telegraph, the Financial Times, the Guardian, the Independent and The Times. The Times is held from 1960 to the present day and the other broadsheets from around 1980 onwards. We also hold Sunday editions from 1990 onwards."

Try a University Library. My local Uni Library has The Daily Telegraph 1945 - 56 on microfilm. Also can be accessed via LexisNexis, Nexis is available to Uni members and most Uni's subscribe to it, so if you have a family relative or friend at Uni they should be able to view and download for you.

The British Library website has to be one of the most infuriating websites to use (far, far worse than The National Archives, and that's saying something!). For every search I try to make I get words to the effect of 'page unavailable'.
    Considering that the BL has in its newspaper collection Sunday Expresses dating back to the 1960s (I know because I looked at them at Colindale) I find it hard to believe that they don't have the Telegraph going back to the 50s. In fact they specifically say on their website
    Our holdings of British national and provincial papers from the mid-19th century to the present are fairly comprehensive, although some gaps remain.
    Are you sure you're not confusing what they hold on site at the BL with what you can order to be sent from Boston Spa?

(what seems a lifetime later.........)
    The mystery is solved.
    It appears that from 1937 to 1969 the correct title of the Telegraph was the Daily Telegraph and Morning Post.
    https://tinyurl.com/qafu6m9 - click on the 'details' tab. Someone at the BL should be able to confirm from the shelfmarks and UIN refs whether the films are held at the BL or whether you need to order them in.

Pam