Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    heide1

Default My Jones Brickwall

Hi, I have been trying to break thru this brickwall for several years now. My 3rd great grandfather's name was William Theodore JONES born abt 1803 in Liverpool. His wife was Maria TILLEY, born abt 1816, in Liverpool. Their only children that i know of so far, are: Griffith James JONES, born Jan 1841 in Liverpool, and Richard Thomas (Thomas Richard?) JONES, born 1842 in Liverpool. Some people say that William's father and mother's names were Thomas JONES & Elizabeth STEVENS, both from Liverpool. Griffith James JONES was my 2nd great grandfather, and i know that he and his brother immigrated to the United States, sometime in the 1860's. I do have alot of information on Griffith in the United States. I have been trying to go further on this branch of my family tree since 2009, and i know that even tho JONES is a common name, the records are out there, and i wont give up! Thanks so much for reading this, and i appreciate any help. Have a great day.

Hello

On the 1900 US census Griffith J Jones age 59 born Jan 1841, says he has been in the US for 54 years so therefore he arrived c 1845 not in the 1860's.
    Do you have his marriage certificate to Charlotte? What documentation shows his parents as Thomas Theodore Jones and Maria Tilley? On what documents is his birth place shown as Liverpool?

Sorry for all the questions but I am having trouble finding any info on them in England.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

heide1

Hi Christina, thank you for replying. There are several discrepancies, in the census, that i have here, and i dont know which ones are correct. If i go by his obituary, the one you speak of would be correct. But other resources, state that he came here in the 1860's, with his brother, and i do know that they were both in the civil war. I do not have Griffith & Charlotte's marriage certificate, but i found it, and have it ordered. Right now, all i have is both of the death certifcates and obits. Griffiths death certificate, says his father is William T. Jones, and mother Maria. It states his birthplace as London, England. There is a book, that i just recently received a copy of about the Jone's coming west, from Wisconsin. In that book it states that his birthplace was Liverpool, and that he came here to the United States with his brother. A few different storys, and i would sure love to find some facts to support something, lol. The source that sent me the book, also stated that William Theodore Jones, and Maria Tilley were the names of his parents, and also Thomas Jones & Elizabeth Stevens being Williams parents. But it doesnt mention them in the book. I appreciate your help, and am happy to answer any questions.

Hi
    It is good that you have ordered Griffith's marriage certificate as that should give his father's name and occupation (if the US certs are similar to the UK certs)

I did see the transcript of a Griffith Jones serving in the US military and from memory it was the 1860's but the original may give more information. Do you have access to these?

I am more inclined tothink Griffith was born in London as I can only find a birth reg for a Griffith James Jones in St Pancras registration district March 1/4 1841 vol 1 page 283.
    On FreeBMD marriage registrations there is a James William Jones and a Maria Tilley on the same page March 1/4 1840 registration district Bloomsbury vol 1 page 74.
    This marriage entry is a good match for the 1841 census which has

1841 HO107 Piece 684 Book 3 Folio 19 page 32
    William Street Regents Park St. Pancras
    James Jones 25 (I can't read the occupation) born in county? No
    Maria Jones 25 NO
    Griffith Jones 6 months Yes

Until you receive the marriage certificate none of this can be verified. There is no record for a William Theodore Jones but this James does have the name William as a middle name.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    James Jones 25 (I can't read the occupation)
    Christina
    It looks like Piano F M - pianoforte manufacturer?

There are several others with the same occupation on that page.

Peter

In regards to Richard Thomas Jones born c1842 there are none of that name on FreeBMD born in Liverpool or even just in Lancashire. There are 4 - 1 in Cambridgeshire in 1843, 1 in Poole Dorset 1841, 1 in Ludlow Hereford/Shropshire border 1841 and the most likely Richard Thomas Jones registration district Westr (Westminster Middlesex) Sept 1/4 1842 vol 1 page 382

I can't see James/William/Thomas Jones and wife Maria with sons Griffith and Richard in the 1851 UK census so it is very possible they all went to the US in the mid 1840's.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    It looks like Piano F M - pianoforte manufacturer?

There are several others with the same occupation on that page.

Peter
    Thank you Peter, I am hopeless at deciphering difficult writing.

Christina
    William Burroughs

James Griffith Jones: Baptism, 3 Nov 1845, born 1st Jan 1841
    Father's name: James William Jones, pianoforte maker.
    Mother's name: Maria Jones
    Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    James Griffith Jones: Baptism, 3 Nov 1845
    Father's name: James William Jones, pianoforte maker.
    Mother's name: Maria Jones
    Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras
    Thanks for this almach So another case of the forenames being swapped around? I did look on FreeBMD for a birth reg for a James Griffith Jones and there is one but it is in the Wolverhampton reg district in June 1/4 1842. so we can discount this I think.

I can't see a shipping record for any of them 1841 to 1851 and neither can I find them in 1851 but I haven't tried the various interchangeable forenames. Maria is the constant in this and I do search using mar* and J*nes.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Baptised same church, same day, same parents.

Thomas Richard Jones, born 20 Jun 1842

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast