fwr_user

Default RE: Barnsley Hall EMS - WW2

At the onset of the second WW there were a series of Emergency Hospitals (EMS) built by the Ministry of Works around the country.

One such hospital was one built in the grounds of Barnsley Hall Mental Hospital near Bromsgrove in Worcestershire. I lived no more than 300 meters from its boundary and remember some of the badly wounded men wandering around the grounds.

I am finding it very difficult to find any information about this part of the story which I find really intriguing because it was a very substantial undertaking having more than 1000 beds. Strange so very little evidence remains?

I have done a thorough search at the local Worcestershire archive at the "Hive" but can find very little as regards the actual use of the hospital. i.e. were they all military patients or were there civilian ones as well?

Which branch of the services did they come from - Army, Navy, Air-force etc?

Have any members further information regarding the Hospital and patients at all???

Regards

Bill Holden

This is a list of records and where they are held. As it underwent a few name changes it may help to search under any/all the names. I found this by using the name it was known by in the 1949 - 1966 period.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ls.asp?id=2222

Apart from the above the only reference I found is on Wikipedia which says " but it was heavily populated when it was used as a military hand emergency hospital during the two World Wars.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Joyoustimes

Default Barnsley Hall Hospital

I was a nurse at this hospital starting there in the late 1940s until it closed. We looked after army patients and also the air raid victims from Coventry. I would be quite happy to help with anything else you would like to know.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Barnsley Hall Army Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Joyoustimes View Post
    I was a nurse at this hospital starting there in the late 1940s until it closed. We looked after army patients and also the air raid victims from Coventry. I would be quite happy to help with anything else you would like to know.
    My mother was a nurse at this hospital but I'm not sure exactly when, I think it was towards the end of WW2. Her name was Evelyn M. Bayes. Did you know her?