Starting to feel at home

Default Emmigrant Records

Does anyone know if there are any existing records for Northern Ireland emmigrants who sailed to Canada during the potato famine(about 1847-1849)? I am quite sure my ancestors lived in Armagh, but have no idea which part they came from, unfortunately. It's a real brick wall.

I have not had ANY success searching the Canadian records, as they don't go back that far. I've checked various shipping records, but still no luck.

I recall watching a t.v. show where someone visiting the Republic of Ireland was able to view large record books listing their ancestors departure(and the name of the person who paid for their tickets to travel to North America).
    I live in Canada, so viewing the books, if they exist, is not possible, but I'd still like to know.

Thanks!

Angie

Knowledgeable and helpful

There were no comprehensive records of people leaving Ireland for Canada (or indeed anywhere else). No-one in Ireland needed that information. And as you obviously know, few records exist of arrivals in Canada before about 1850. What does exist are a few sets of records kept by shipping agents in Ireland for their own commercial purposes. The main set are those for J & J Cooke who had sailings from Londonderry to Philadelphia, Quebec & St Johns. (Sailings appear to have been about every 2 to 3 weeks). The records cover the years 1847 to 1871. I have seen them and they are fairly helpful showing all the passengers. Children are apparent from their reduced fares. Home address is usually recorded. There’s a copy of these records in PRONI (the public record office in Belfast) D2892/1/1-4. I suspect these may be the books you saw in the film.

I think the records may be also on the DIPPAM site:

https://www.dippam.ac.uk

But my only word of warning is that whilst there were perhaps 3 or 4 sailings from Ireland every month, there were daily sailings from Liverpool (which was effectively the clearing house for migrants from all over Europe) and far more Irish emigrants left from there than ever left directly from Ireland. Competition for the business was fierce and most shipping agents in Ireland threw in the cost of the short passage to Liverpool free, as part of the ticket price. See:

https://www.finnvalley.ie/history/emigration/index.html
    ELWYN

Nicolina

some Canadian emigrants also entered via the U.S.A. so you'll need to search far and wide. You could try the Ellis Island and Castle Gardens sites (try googling them). Also the ISTG site has loads of records that might help.