Frankie#88

Default Free old newspaper's

Hello!!
    I am just wondering if you can look at old newspaper's online for FREE? and if so where?

I am wanting to look at newspaper's from the WW1 time, from the South Yorkshire and Northumberland area's any info and advice gladly appreciated.

Thank's in advance

Frankie

Brick wall demolition expert!

I live in Lancashire, and they have a system when you join the library, which lets you access on line free of charge all sorts of newspapers, and all from the comfort of your own home.

Worth contacting your local library and seeing what they offer.

Frankie#88

Thankyou Megan and Neil, as alway's most valuable advice and very appreciated.

Famous for offering help & advice

I wouldn't have expected to find a notice of death of an ancestor of mine who died in Ceylon, with no Welsh connections, to appear in a Welsh regional newspaper - but I have

so I would recommend the free-of-charge "Welsh Newspapers Online" site

https://newspapers.library.wales/home

I guess the only drawback is that it only appears to cover the years 1804-1919

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I live in Lancashire, and they have a system when you join the library, which lets you access on line free of charge all sorts of newspapers, and all from the comfort of your own home.
    I live in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, but was able to join the Lancashire libraries, free. Link is halfway down this page - https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/librari...libraries.aspx - I think you have to specify a library in the county from a list, but it doesn't matter which - I just plumped for one I rcognised where I'd had relatives live on the censuses.

Well worth doing for a very useful resource to access nationwide newspapers

Cheers, MTS
    Last edited by emmteeyess; 09-09-2017 at 7:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistake