x1xMarcx1x

Default John (Jack) Armstrong (DLI) & C Bright (RHA)

Hi all,

I'm busy with some research on my grandad and wondered whether anyone had any additional information on either him or his friend (both survived the war). I'm fortunate to have a diary from the war and am piecing this together along with old photographs. Any additional information would be great although appreciate the chances of this are slim! I also plan on applying for his service record following the sticky.

I have included their details below:

First Name: John (known as Jack)
    Surname: Armstrong
    Resided Town: Stalag 20a, Thorn Podgorz
    Resided Country: Poland
    Fate: Prisoner of War
    Information: POW No. 20380
    Service Number: 4455510

First Name: C
    Surname: Bright
    Resided Town: Stalag 20b, Marienburg
    Nationality: British
    Resided Country: Poland
    Fate: Prisoner of War
    Information: POW No. 6373
    Service Number: 1071327

Many thanks,

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

If you came to us from FWR then reading This will tell you a little about us.

You can purchase service records for WW11 from the MoD who still hold them. This 'sticky' explains who can apply and where, what information will be released and when and to whom. There is a charge of 30 pounds and a wait of a few months, I understand, as so many are applying at the moment.
    You will also need your grandfather's death certifcate.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

x1xMarcx1x

Thank you

The plan is to apply for his records from the MoD. Is the original death certificate required or will a photocopy suffice?

Thanks again

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

John's service number indicates he joined up with the - West Yorkshire Regiment 4523001 - 4601000 (range of service numbers to them)
    and Mr Bright - Royal Artillery (Field, Coastal & Anti-Aircraft) 721001 - 1842000 and 11000001 - 11500000 (which is hinted by his rank anyway).
    After you get their service records, they will give you details on which battalions and you can get war diaries to understand where they went.

regards

Robert

C Bright 6373 was my grandad I also have a diary,Pow photos and his pow dog tag.My email address is
    ]rusticmonster [at] hotmail.com
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 22-04-2020 at 9:35 AM. Reason: Email address deactivated as per our TOC