stevenwright02

Default Sydenham Hill School

In my grandfather's possessions are several cups/trophies that he had won for athletics. I am keen to try and research these sporting trophies and achievements further.

Two trophies have the inscriptions "Sydenham Hill School 100 yards won by W.A. Wright June 6th 1925" and "Sydenham Hill School Quarter Mile won by W.A. Wright June 6th 1925"

Accordingly I am keen to locate any school records from this period for Sydenham Hill School which may contain sporting achievements.

I don't believe that the school still exists today, at least by name.

I would appreciate any guidance or assistance on locating any records for the school and also in determining the address and fate of the school. Similarly welcome any other suggestions the community may have.

Many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Easy one. A search engine reveals that Sydenham Hill School (or Sydenham Hill Road School) was renamed Kelvin Grove School and was originally managed by the London School Board.

Surviving records should be at the London Metropolitan Archives. The catalogue is online.

Reputation beyond repute

PS LMA catalogue is at https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwi...LMA_OPAC?LOGON (you don't need to log in)

The LMA reference for Sydenham Hill (Road) School is LCC/EO/DIV07/SYD2

Google street view (Kelvin Grove) reveals a typical late 19th century school building albeit with changes over the years.

stevenwright02

Thanks the replies. I took your suggestion and looked at Google street view for Kelvin Grove. Interestingly at the main entrance their is a "nod" to the past as on the right hand side of the door is a large stone with the inscription Sydenham Hill School. On the left is the modern sign for Kelvin Grove Primary School.

For the period the LMA has:

Admission and discharge register for boys (LCC/EO/DIV07/SYD2/AD/001)
    Log Book (LCC/EO/DIV07/SYD2/LB/002)

Not sure what information each will contain so will have to arrange a visit to view them

stevenwright02

Just found that:
    Admission Registers contain pupil information such as name, date of birth, address and dates joined and left the school and possibly the parents' names

Log Books kept by the head teacher which can include details such staff and pupil absence, visitors and so on with occasional mention of individual pupils.

A fountain of knowledge

The event was given about 2/3 of a column in the Sydenham, Forest Hill & Penge Gazette of 12-Jun-1925, page 6, column 7. it was held on Hill Field, followed at 5pm by refreshments, prize presentations, and speeches in the school garden. There are no details of the races, but there is a list of winners and runners-up including W A Wright's first places as above, and also a J Wright who came first in Consolation Race B (whatever a consolation race was). Also a list of race officials, probably teachers or older boys. Head master Dr Bundey.

On page 3, column 3, of the same issue, there is an advert for the school as a prep school for boys 6 to 16½. The school is described as house and 300ft grounds, with a 4 acre playing field with football and cricket pitches. 3 min walk away. Principals: A Crofton-Atkins, M.A. (Cantab) and G Riddall, Edin Univ, B.A.(Lond).

stevenwright02

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Doran View Post
    The event was given about 2/3 of a column in the Sydenham, Forest Hill & Penge Gazette of 12-Jun-1925, page 6, column 7.
    Thanks Chris,
    This provides a great insight into the Sports Day and the school itself.

Are the archives for the Sydenham, Forest Hill & Penge Gazette available to be viewed online or are they only available on microfilm at the Lewisham Local History and Archives Centre ?

A fountain of knowledge

As far as I know, the Gazette isn't online – the big digitisation project seems to be largely bypassing London and the South East. Bromley Local Studies, where I read it, has it on microfilm, and I expect Lewisham does too (with cheaper printing charges!)

There is a moderately active Sydenham Local History Forum where you might be post an enquiry. It has a long-running thread on Kelvin Grove, with a passing reference to the school.

stevenwright02

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Doran View Post
    On page 3, column 3, of the same issue, there is an advert for the school as a prep school for boys 6 to 16½. The school is described as house and 300ft grounds, with a 4 acre playing field with football and cricket pitches. 3 min walk away. Principals: A Crofton-Atkins, M.A. (Cantab) and G Riddall, Edin Univ, B.A.(Lond).
    It is interesting to learn that Sydenham Hill was school for boys up to 16½. My Grandfather was 13½ when he won those trophies.

It is known that at some point he left and went to King's College School, Wimbledon. It was presumed that this was a “natural” move based on his age, however, the newspaper advert does not corroborate this assumption.

The exact timing of the switch is not known, hopefully consulting the admission and discharge registers for Sydenham Hill School at the LMA will offer this information.

As there is c. 9 miles between the schools. The next natural thought was that the family moved, however, the [8] electoral registers for 1925-1932 shows the family as continuing to live at 53 Streatham Hill, SW2. Ruling out this theory.