Thread: MARY DWYER

Loves to help with queries

Default MARY DWYER

Mary Dwyer was convicted in 1849 of larceny from Thomas Farley in Limerick, she was sent to Tasmania where she married my gr gr grandfather.

Trouble I am facing is Mary was a widow at the time and had one child James Dwyer, her papers mention her mother and siblings (mother Bridget, siblings John (4th Rgmt), Daniel, Michael, James (88th Rgmt) Ellen and Margaret but no family surname.

Mary was a native of Limerick b c1819 (papers say she was 30 in 1849) widowed with one child.

So I was hoping to find marriage then maybe I can find out her surname...... it is believed she married a THOMAS DWYER in Limerick.

Sadly I was never able to locate her child either. There was a child James Dwyer on the ship but it was listed to have belonged to another convict not her which I found very unusual as there wasn't another Dwyer on the ship!

Hoping someone may be able to point me in a direction as to where to look

many thanks
    Karen

where would I look for marriages in Limerick between the years 1830 and 1847?
    thanks Karen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A little more information about Mary Dwyer can be found in this thread.
    That thread has now been locked to prevent duplication of assistance to Karen's query., so please continue to post replies in this thread.

Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Karen,

Re the search for Limerick marriages, did you check out the site in post #4 of your previous Mary Dwyer thread?

Other suggestions (some are not direct links, but may have links within them)
    https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND
    (scroll down to Ireland in the alpha list)

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.c...y-history.html

https://www.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irllimer/

https://www.
    rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fianna/county/limerick.html

Pam
    whose knowledge of Ireland is very limited

Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Default Free resources for Limerick

Limerick Library has lots of different kinds of info, all available online - and free!. Have a look at this: https://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/LocalStudies/ and then click around.

I gather that Irish Catholic marriages will be available online some time later this year. We will have to wait patiently. (I too have a Limerick line.)

Owl

thank you all so much, I do hope that the parish records do come online soon, but I will definately check the above sites today, I cannot access ancestry.com re the thread about America and at this stage I would just like to find the marriage of Mary ??? to Thomas Dwyer in Limerick then I can pursue her family.
    I also know that Thomas Dwyer was deceased and because of Mary's 2 brothers being in a regiment it wouldn't surprise me that Thomas Dwyer went off to war that is why she was a widow at time of conviction, it would have helped to know the age of her child but then again .......that would be helping us track down our ancestors too easily!

thanks so much again Pam. Christina and Owl for your suggestions, I will endeavour to follow these up today
    much appreciated
    Karen

Knowledgeable and helpful

I suppose the first thing to try and establish is whether Mary came from Limerick city or Limerick county. Do you know?

There are about 30 RC parishes in Co Limerick. Mary would have married around 1839. Though many do, not all the parishes have marriage records that go back that far, so there’s a possibility she married in a parish whose records are lost or were never kept at that time. So it might not be possible to find her marriage. However, many of the surviving records are on-line on the rootsireland site. Searching that site for Thomas Dwyer marrying a Mary (surname unknown), in 1839 +/- 5 years gets 3 matches. You might want to look at those, to get the 3 surnames, and then try each one in turn to see if you can find baptisms for Mary and her various siblings.

By the way don’t expect too much information from an RC marriage register at that period. All you normally get are the couples names, the date and their 2 witnesses names. No parents’ names, occupations or addresses. However you may at least be able to find the parish where Mary came from. Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so you could expect Mary to have married in the same parish as she was baptised in.
    ELWYN

many thanks Elwyn, I only have her convict papers which state she was a native of Limerick which is very open and could be any parish, alos her marriage in Tasmania says she was from Limerick. if I can find the marriage it may shed some light on my Mary's surname I have her mother and siblings first names so it would be a great achievement to find this out, as I cannot proceed any further back until I have this information. All I can do is search all the records I can find of Limerick parishes. Thanks for your suggestion Elwyn much appreciated.
    karen

well I have searched and searched but without knowing whether her maiden name was Dwyer or it was her married name when convicted has put a spanner in the works, so to speak. I have her mother's name Bridget, and all her siblings were listed as well, John (4th Reg), Daniel, Michael, James (88th Reg) Ellen and Margaret, but no mention of their last name. Thanks all for your input. much appreciated.