Starting to feel at home

Default William Davies, Constable, Denbighshire

William Davies born 1883 Llanrhaeadr (uncertain ym Monchnant or ym Nghinmerich but suspect former) Marriage Cert 10/9/1908 Police Constable Vroncysyllte Police Station (Llangollen), Denbighshire Constabulary (father John deceased).
    Census 1911 living same Police Station with wife. Some newspaper cuttings WWI + Army record + 1941 retired Police Sergeant Oswestry.

What chance finding his Police records especially when signing up as struggling to find any birth evidence. Similarly no Census pre 1911.

Where to look, who to write to - I'm in Oz so a bus trip won't do it! Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Nationalarchives.gov.uk

Have police officers records.

Reputation beyond repute

The National Archives has only Metropolitan Police and RIC/RUC records. Other police forces aren't designated a 'public records' and you may find records in the appropriate local record office or they may still be held by the force or they may not have survived.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I am really seeking is if anyone has accessed the Denbighshire Constabulary Records held by Archiveswales (think this at Ruthin) and had any success looking for anyone. I should have been more specific. I ask because the archive contents list gives little clue as to their real content. Thanks again.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William DAVIS NB spelling of the surname & his wife Priscilla can be found on the 1911 census at Police Station Pontcysyllte Nr Llangollen

Looked and cannot see pre 1911

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by lennythelemur View Post
    I am really seeking is if anyone has accessed the Denbighshire Constabulary Records .

I have not accessed these particular records, but I have looked at constabulary records from the mid-19th century held in Gloucestershire, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

Things like the date joined and left; who provided a reference; the dates he transferred from one town to another; promotions; and a character summary. I was surprised to see that he was of good and sober character, and that has left me rethinking various assumptions previously made!

It's probably worth sending an email to the archive office and asking what they could do, and for how much. I think that all archive offices now charge for search and copying services.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William DAVI(E)S was aged 33 years 42 days at 6 February 1916 this gives a birthdate of 25-27 Dec 1882 and another record suggests he was 35 on his last birthday 28 April 1918 i.e 1882. Birth registration would be in the quarter Oct - Dec 1882 or as is more likely Jan - Mar 1883