Frankie#88

Post Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Electorial Roll's

Hello everyone!!

Just a quick quearie today. Doe's anybody know where I can look up old electorial roll's for Yorkshire & Lincolnshire, I have had a quick look around but the only one's i've seen are for London and Surrey.
    I am wanting the Electorial roll's from mid 1800's to 1940's.
    Any info gladly appreciated.
    Thankyou in advance.

Frankie

Brick wall demolition expert!

Either the record office for the area or maybe the local library or alternatively something 192.com which is a pay to view site.

Reputation beyond repute

Electorial Roll's
    That's Electoral Rolls.

You need to get out and about. Your best bet is the appropriate record offices.

Findmypast are supposed to have the contract to put online the British Library's collection of electoral registers but unless you have the secret of eternal life I wouldn't wait for it to appear.

Presumably you know something about electoral registers. They only include people who had the vote and the franchise was pretty limited for much of the period you mention.

Also for most of that period, electoral registers are arranged by address. There are no name indexes so you need to know where your people were. The record office may have finding aids to help you select the right books.

Famous for offering help & advice

There are some electoral rolls for West Yorkshire at Ancestry (indexed, with links to scans of the registers) in the collection entitled

West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962

Bear in mind that this collection is based on the current county of West Yorkshire, so there will probably only be incidental coverage of areas beyond that, such as where constituencies and their registers span the current county/district boundaries.

Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    There are some electoral rolls for West Yorkshire at Ancestry (indexed, with links to scans of the registers) in the collection entitled

West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962

Bear in mind that this collection is based on the current county of West Yorkshire, so there will probably only be incidental coverage of areas beyond that, such as where constituencies and their registers span the current county/district boundaries.
    I needed to use these myself a day or two ago, and discovered that West Yorkshire isn't actually fully covered. I was looking for someone in Leeds, and they didn't come up - nor did browsing the collection appear to offer any Leeds registers. You haven't said whereabouts you're looking, so all I can say is that you might be lucky, or you might not.

Arthur

Frankie#88

Hi Arthur,

Thankyou for the reply definatly worth a look.
    I'm looking in the Sheffield/Rotherham area of Yorkshire and the Belton/Epworth area of Lincolnshire.

Frankie

You might find something, then. There are at least some registers for the Rotherham division, and also others in that general area - Barnsley, Hallamshire, West Riding South were some that I noticed, but none explicitly mentioned Sheffield. Otherwise you'd need to contact the Local Studies Libraries in Sheffield and Rotherham; the Lincolnshire ones seem to be at Lincolnshire Archives, rather than the Local Studies Library.

Arthur

Frankie#88

Thankyou Arthur for the advice, alway's good to know these thing's.