jen51

Default Looking for birth of Mary McKenna

Trying to find the birth record of my great grandmother Mary McKenna. She migrated to Australia pr 1874.

The first record I have of her is a Birth Certificate for her daughter Mary Catherine born Queensland Australia 1874. The Certificates shows mother Mary McKenna age 18 born Glasgow, Scotland. No fathers name listed.

I also have her first Marriage Certificate to a John Turner in Queensland Australia and it shows mother Mary McKenna age 21 born Glasgow Scotland father Alexander McKenna Occupation Engineer mother Mary Copeland.

Her death in Queensland Oct 1900 age 44 born Scotland father Alexand McKenna no mother listed.

I have been unable to find a marriage between Alexander McKenna and Mary Anne Copeland.

All dates show she was born around 1856.

I would appreciated any help in finding information on her.

Jenny

Brick wall demolition expert!

For Scottish births, marriages and deaths you need to go to the Scotland's People web site:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

This is a pay to view site, but is the only one that has the birth records.

You will find advice on Scotlands People and other aspects of Scottish genealogy HERE.

Scottish BMDs started in 1855.

The closest I can find is Mary McKenna b. 13 Dec 1857 Glasgow to Mary Ann McKenna. No father mentioned, and if Mary Ann had been married, her maiden name would have been given. I can't find any birth with Alexander as a father. They were never very accurate with ages, etc, so it's possible that she was born just before 1855. In that case, you have to rely on baptismal records. If they were Church of Scotland, it's worth looking on FamilySearch.org first as it's free, but it's only an index so you'd have to check SP for the full entry. Catholic registers are separate (and on SP).

I can't find a likely candidate in the 1861 census for Glasgow - do you know when they left for the New World?

jen51

Default Mary McKenna

Lesley,

I do not know when Mary arrived in Australia. I have found a Mary McKenna arriving Australia in 1872 aboard the ship Polmaise age 20. I will look into Scotlands People.

Thank you

Jenny