Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The marriage was in 1850 in Dundee. Agnes' maiden name was Meek. Sadly, the marriage records show only the father of Agnes. thank you!

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Martha

I found him using the indexed medal rolls available on Ancestry. However, the National Archives have made these rolls available as free downloads, but the're not indexed. The roll you need is WO 100/33 https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C3763797, there are three separate entries for William.

Martin

thanks so much, martin. i do see him on ancestry, and I shall try the archives. a wealth of information!

Someone from another board suggested James Crichton and Isabella McFarlane as parents to William (b. 1829). I couldn't find a trace of these two on findmypast or scots people. William's grand-daughter, child of William's son, William Palmerston Crichton (the one born in Turkey), was named Alexandrina McFarlane Crichton (born 1882). So I would think that bodes well for a connection. (Alexandrina is, indeed, family as she and my grandfather used to correspond after he had mover to the states.) Any thoughts, Christina? Thank you.

martha

Hi Martha
    Do you know when William died? You can actually purchase an image of the death register direct from the ScotlandsPeople website. This is what they say about them
    " Images of Statutory deaths from 1855 to 1963 are available to view on this site. A digital image is a scan of the microfiche copy of the original register page containing the entry in which you are interested. It therefore contains the same information you would normally see when looking at the actual record"

They show a sample image and there is a column for the father's name and rank/profession and mother's name and maiden surname.
    It would be worth a try to see if it does give a father's name but because there wasn't one for William on his marriage certificate it could be that he was actually illegitimate.

Reading This page about Scottish naming patterns may help but as it says, nothing was set in stone

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Regarding Alexandrina McFarlane Crichton you mention. I did a search for her birth 1881- 1883 on ScotlandsPeople and I think you will find she was registered as Alexina in 1882.

Edited to add: I can't find William and/or Agnes in the 1881 census so I tried searching on ScotlandsPeople for deaths for them - using the basic search which says there are results but have to pay to view.
    There was one death for an Agnes Crichton and I narrowed it down to the year 1883. I did not specify an area.
    Using the year born for William 1829 +/- 2 there were no death results but if I widened the birth year to 1829 +/- 5 there were four results. Messing about with the birthdate there were two results for William Crichton born 1834. Again I did not specify an area.
    Details on death certificates can be wrong as it is reliant on the knowledge of the informant so whether either of these two are your William could only be decided by purchasing credits.
    William Burroughs

Thank you once more, Christina. In the past, I have purchased credits to try to find Williams birth and death to no avail. I'll have to go back and stretch the date parameters. The "Forename Variant" article was very helpful - especially about the interchanging of names like Agnes and Nancy as well as the naming patterns of families. And, yes, I do have Alexandrina(Alexina)'s info. Just wish it led me to her grandfather's parents!

Are Find my Past and Scot's People fairly interchangeable, that is, do they both access the same info? I know the fee structure is similar. I'm now on Find my Past for a month and access info on Scot's People via credits.

Thank you again, very much for you thoughtfulness, Christina.
    martha

Hi Martha
    FMP and ScotlandsPeople are, I believe, owned by the same company but are not interchangeable. Whilst you will find transcripts of some, limited, Scottish records on FMP - and ancestry - you will not be able to access the original images which is why ScotlandsPeople is such a great site. Instant gratification!

Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI Martha

NO, FMP and Scotlands People are fairly different. FMP and SP do have Scottish census records (FMP are only translations, SP are the original pages) but that is the only link. SP have BMD, census, valuation rolls and wills. FMP don't have much Scottish stuff, apart from census (up to 1901, not 1911) and service records etc, mainly for England. You need to look at both.

regards

Robert

Indeed....gratification, especially instant, is always good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123