Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hello gortonboy
    Have I got the birthdate of William wrong. The 1851 census says age 42 so born 1829. All the details you have sound good it is just the 1839 birthdate and the 1859 marriage although people did marry sometimes a while after having children.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I accessed "FindmyPast" as you suggested. Using William Crichton, Crighton, etc. with plus/minus of 20 years of his birth date, I find no one. I've inserted soldier #2199 and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. Nothing! I must be doing something wrong. Help appreciated.

martha

Martin - where did you find the "medal roll"?

thanks,

martha

Quote Originally Posted by marthalawrence View Post
    I accessed "FindmyPast" as you suggested. Using William Crichton, Crighton, etc. with plus/minus of 20 years of his birth date, I find no one. I've inserted soldier #2199 and 93rd Sutherland Highlanders. Nothing! I must be doing something wrong. Help appreciated.

martha
    HiMartha

On Findmypast click on the Search Records in the blue bar at the top of page then scroll down and click on Military, armed forces and conflict.
    Just enter the name William Crichton in the boxes and Tick the name variant box for surname (for safe measures) Then scroll down the page and enter the service number. Click Search and only one record comes up. Make sure to read the original image not just the transcript because the year of birth is wrong in the transcript. The image says attested in 1848 at the age of 19 years so was born c 1829 not 1839. I have submitted a correction to FMP

Christina
    William Burroughs

Christina - Thanks again. At this point I'm not sure why I think there may have been an "Alexander" in the mix. Perhaps when I began months ago and was so excited by the Public Member Tree info, not realizing its fallibilities, I saw "Alexander William" as the husband of Agnes Meek on other trees and just assumed. I don't think I have any other evidence that Agnes' husband was, indeed, Alexander William.

Yes, I have the marriage record of Agnes Meek from Scotland's People's site. She was the daughter of Peter Meek and married William "Crighton" of the 93rd Regiment in Dundee in 1850. From family records and letters I am sure she is the correct person. Family records also have William as a member of the 93rd. So I think I'm correct to this point.

Thank you for the info on Robert and Janet. I will explore this avenue. It is interesting about the downgrading of the children's ages by five years. They don't make it easy do they?

As you can tell, I am an absolute beginner...am even having a bit of trouble following all these threads! But it's a thrilling hunt...I feel like a private detective for the first time in my life.

martha

Hi Martha
    From all you have said and the records you have I think you have the correct family.
    From William's marriage record what is his father's name and occupation?

It wasn't just children's ages that were marked down to the nearest 5, it was anyone over the age of 15. It didn't always happen but you can usually tell which enumerators followed the instructions as all the adult ages on a census page will end in 0 or 5.

Christina
    William Burroughs

When I enter the info, Christina, I get "zero results". Here's a screen shot....can you see something I cannot/ I'm new to genealogy but not to computers. And usually, I've been able to fill in blanks!

Unfortunately, no parents are listed for William on the marriage record. Just Agnes' father. I tried to upload an image for you, but failed.

Hi Martha
    Don't put in the age because FMP have it transcribed wrongly so it will only show if you put born 1839.
    Sometimes less information is better and then work your way through the results.

No worries about the image just the info was what I was looking for but it is no help is it?
    Do you have William's death cert? if they are like Australian ones they name the parents, wives and children, if the informant knows them and of course there is plenty of room for error in this.

As you get the information from each post I find it is best to write it down in some sort of order, whatever is best for you. I do a very loose-knit tree usually with the couple I am starting with in the middle of the page so I can work up and down with the generations and add relevant info such as birth and death under each person and the woman they married to the right of them, adding info (in very small shorthand!) as I go. As I said - very rough but have the info to hand for quick look.

Do you have a family tree program? There are free versions out there which you can download and try and some of the pay ones have free versions. They just don't let you enter thousands of names etc.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Yes, I got it. thank you! Too much knowledge (i.e. the correct birth year) can be a dangerous thing!

I don't have William's death certificate. But, yes, I am keeping detailed records of each person, what I think I know and why I think I know it! I am using the tree template provided at ancestry.com. which seems to be working pretty well. But, as you say, the notes are the important items as you can get overwhelmed with the disparate information. I like your idea, Christina, of the couple in the middle of the page so you can play with the possibilities "above and below" them.

I am going to explore the possible Robert connection you suggested. Thank you so much!

martha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast