madamflash

Default Philpott Genealogy

obviously I am new to this, sorry

I forgot to put some dates in my previous posts

William Philpott born 4 February 1855 Grenada West Indies

Thomas Philpott born 1811 Somersetshire? Mother was Elizabeth Lovell, father also Thomas Philpott

Thomas died in Australia 3 November 1895

It is rumoured Jane Napier died, Thomas Philpott arrived in Australia approx 1860, remarried to Kezia Hillard in 1861.

Hi

This is another thread, which has been locked, re this query. https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...-for-ancestors

If you are able to help you can only do it on this thread.
    To reply to this thread madamflash you just hit the reply button under the last post.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

madamflash

thank you for your patience! I am a novice at this stuff. So grateful for the replies from members.

I am searching for a birth certificate for

William Philpott born 4 February 1855
    b Grenada West Indies
    d Southgate Australia 1935
    there is no mother's name on the death certificate

William's father
    Thomas Philpott born supposedly 1811 in the UK ...It says Somersetshire on his death certificate

Thomas Philpott's Mother named on his death certificate as Elizabeth Lovell

Thomas Philpott had a first wife Jane Napier, who I have assumed is William's mother, she is supposed to have 'died' in Grenada, then Thomas bought William to Australia in 1860. I can't find any shipping record yet, but supposedly came via New Zealand.

I found this record a week ago, on UK BDM site, which I thought might be Thomas' record, but I didn't record the site and now can't find it again, as I said, a novice at this.

Right year Male
    Baptism Date: 3 Feb 1811
    Baptism Place: Parish Church of Monks Horton, Kent, England
    Father: Thomas Philpot
    Mother: Elizabeth

Thomas Philpott remarried to Kezia Hillard in 1861.

Thomas Philpott died in Australia 3 November 1895

Thomas Philpott had a son, also Thomas Philpott, William's brother born 1845. No record of him on UK BDM, so I assume Thomas Jnr was also born in Grenada

The records for Grenada are sparse. I am now searching the slave records, as I am NOW beginning to think Jane Napier was a slave, as I remember William's family as being very 'dark', and rumours about the West Indian heritage.....

thank you.
    I have tried to upload the certicates but I am not sure if it worked

Hi
    I have been reading your information and trying, desperately, to find something to help but am coming up blank. familysearch.org does have some Philpotts in Grenada on their site but none of them yours as far as I can tell.
    They also have a forum for Grenada but of all the posts I can't see one for the Philpott surname. Click Here for the list of resources and information on familysearch.

There is also This Site which has addresses and information for Caribbean research with some researchers listed if you think you may eventually have to go down that path.

I did notice that on Thomas Philpott's death certificate the ages of the two sons Thomas and William were given as Thomas 45 and William 35 which would mean Thomas born c1850 and William c1860 which is at odds with William's marriage and death certificates which both have him as born c1855.
    Also It says that Thomas snr married Jane when he was 21 so if born 1811 he was married c 1832. That is a long time to the birth of Thomas jnr in 1850 (18 years) and William (23 years) I think when searching the dates will have to be quite flexible.

The marriage registration for Thomas snr to Keziah Hilliard is 1860 not 1861 with their daughter born 1862 so Thomas brought his sons Thomas and William to Australia between 1855 (the earliest date for William's birth) and 1860 (his marriage to Keziah)
    Of course the information is only as good as the informant and even then they only 'know' what they have been told and that can be reliant on the person telling them the truth.

As indicated on Thomas snr's death certificate both Thomas jnr and William were children of the marriage to Jane Napier

I can't find anything in New Zealand for them either, even looked in Papers Past just in case they went there first and their arrival was noted as passengers on a specific ship.

Christina
    William Burroughs

madamflash

Hi Christina
    thank you so much for your help in searching for the Philpotts. I am very humbled that you have been to so much trouble for me.
    In times of such atrocities, I have been heartened that people can still be so kind to each other. I am learning through this family history research we are really all one big family!

You have understood and articulated my research problems exactly! So many anomalies with the dates etc.

I have a picture of William's headstone and it gives his date of birth, I know it's not always right but I am leaning towards that date at the moment.

On the other hand, I leaning towards the info on Thomas' Snr's death certificate, informant Thomas Jnr, re the West Indies, at least he knew how to sell Grenada, and other family names where the informant on Williams death certificate (my father) didn't have any details at all! From what I can tell, Thomas Jnr disappeared from the Clarence Valley after Thomas Snr's death, and as I can't find a death certificate on different Australia BDMs, I have to assume Thomas Jnr left Australia, that's another research project!!!

I have checked out the sites you mentioned, but nothing really matching my family in the forums.
    I found The Grenada National Archives facebook page and have written to that institution to ask about possible research for me, but no reply to date.

re Keziah, Thomas Snrs second marriage, I don't know what happened in the past but my Mum thinks apparently there was a rift in the family, we had nothing to do with Keziah's Sarah or her family, even though they all lived in the same area, and Sarah called one her kids Robert John, same name as my father.

I actually have Sarah Philpott's real baptism certificate dated 1861, it was in my Dad's papers, this really does get curiouser and curiouser. I would love to find her descendants and give it to them one day.
    (Spoke to my Mum last night and she says she thinks one of Sarah's descendants contacted her a few years ago and Mum knows where she lives in Maclean, so I might be able to get in touch with this person.)

Right now I am enrolled in a short uni course of Family History research with the University of Tasmania, so I only have 8 weeks to submit my report, so I have to concentrate on limited research, but I am now so taken with this mystery I am sure I will be searching for months to come.

Again, thanks for your value help and clarifying everything for me, it's been so helpful.

Regards
    Judi

Hi Judi

Still no further ahead with the Grenada connection so I thought I would see what came up when searching for Thomas snr's birth in Somerset and again -nothing!
    I tried familysearch.org and there is this site which is a work in progress but as we don't know which parish it would be a long trawl through the records for the parishes they have transcribed.

As an aside. I was re-reading the death certificates for William and Thomas and the dates of deaths and years in NSW for both indicate an arrival date of 1860. Pretty quick off the mark for a remarriage to Keziah. Do you have this marriage certificate? I understand that a NSW marriage cert will show
    Names of Groom and Bride
    Date & place of marriage
    Minister's name & religion
    Age & Birthplace of Groom and Bride
    Marital status & occupation of Groom and Bride
    Parents of Groom & Bride, and father's occupation
    Witnesses to the marriage
    Consent details for those under age
    Divorce details if applicable

Although it wasn't compulsory to record birthplace, age or parents of the bride and groom on civil records until 1896. Sometimes this information was added later by the registry after getting details from the parish register.

If we can't find Grenada records just now we can try for information on Thomas snr's parentage.

In relation to Sarah Jane Philpott all I can find for her on ancestry is her birth registration. Every way I turn at the moment I face a brick wall.

The family research course should be very handy!
    Tasmania is one of my favourite places.

Christina

p.s. Thank you for your kind words re the help, that is what we are all about on Brit-Gen, even if we can't always come up trumps - but not for the want of trying.
    William Burroughs

Bingo.

On familysearch.org

Marriage 29 May 1878 of Sarah Jane Philpott to James McPherson at Grafton, Clarence River, New South Wales

Both single and Sarah would have been age 18. It is on the NSW BMD's with registration number 3214/1878

You probably have this anyway but it wasn't showing on ancestry which just goes to show we can't rely on one site only when researching.

Three children to this couple
    Thomas William J 1879
    James A 1883
    Robert A G 1885 he married Ada F Davis registered Maclean district 1908 5117/1908

Christina
    William Burroughs

I can see 2 birth registrations for McPherson infants, parents Robert A G and Ada F. All in the Maclean registration district.
    James H 1908, Minnie B 1910.Theremay be others after this date but not available because of privacy cut off dates.

James H McPherson married Merle D Bell in 1935 and Minnie Blanchford McPherson married Lester Clarence Smith in 1936. Both Maclean registration district.

Christina
    William Burroughs