Titanicfan

Default 1841 Address Search on FMP

Hi all

Is there a quick way that I can search the 1841 census for an address on FMP?

I have narrowed the database down to censuses only and I have tried to search with or without the name and typed in Whimple under Street and also tried searching with Whimple under keywords but nothing.

I am trying to find out if one of my ancestors was at 6 Whimple Street in Plymouth, Devon in 1841 (I know the door number would probably not be noted but at least if I could find Whimple Street it might help) as he might have been working as a grocer and living at the address as shown on certificates four years earlier and four years later than the 1841 census. I have also tried to search with the keyword grocer but nothing has been found.

John William Wale b. 1814 (born at sea but I doubt if this will be noted on the census) and he was a single person at the time of the census.

Any advice would be most welcomed.

Thank you.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think I have him - Jno Whale b 1816 in St andrews Plymouth. (on the free index search, can't check record)

To get there - looked up Whimple st in 1901 census online to get parish (St Andrew) then
    in FMP 1841 put in St Andrew in the parish (plus Devon as county etc) and Whimple Street as street. Somehow it worked! - tho when I put Whimple St in without parish originally, it didn't. I I just put the surname in as no hits with John. Maybe that was it.
    I don't think they do a straightforward address search for 1841 any more.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    I think I have him - Jno Whale b 1816 in St andrews Plymouth. (on the free index search, can't check record)

To get there - looked up Whimple st in 1901 census online to get parish (St Andrew) then
    in FMP 1841 put in St Andrew in the parish (plus Devon as county etc) and Whimple Street as street. Somehow it worked! - tho when I put Whimple St in without parish originally, it didn't. I I just put the surname in as no hits with John. Maybe that was it.
    I don't think they do a straightforward address search for 1841 any more.
    But going in via search censuses from the drop down bar - surname Wale with variants (no first name), Plymouth, Whimple Street got there (no parish needed) .Doesn't seem to recognise Jno as a variant of John.

Brick wall demolition expert!

What I have found with the "new" FMP search page is that when you start to type a place into one of the boxes it starts to offer you alternatives - a bit like predictive texting.

If you ignore them and plough on with your original position, if that does not exactly match one of those offered, you get zero hits, so you have to keep an eye on what is being offered - sometimes you can find 3 or 4 slightly different spelling variations on what one might think is a pretty straightforward place. I think that this is because the search engine recognises only what has been transcribed.

The references for the 1841 census referred to above are:

Piece number 269

Book number 9

Folio number 13

Page number 21

Titanicfan

Thank you so much, Grisel. You were spot on - good tactics!

Titanicfan

Thanks also, Megan, for the census references.

Bit puzzled by the searching.
    FMP offers 2 Census search screens - one selected from the drop down menu "Census, land & surveys" where the census year has to be specified. On this screen the "Street" field is immediately before the "Record Collection" field;

The other screen is where the specific year 1841 is selected from a list - the "Street" field is the last field on this screen.

Using the drop down approach, and entering 1841 in the Census field and "Whimple Street (or St)" in address returns 176 hits in alphabetical order.
    Selecting the 1841 specific screen and entering "Whimple Street (or St)" in address returns the same 176 hits.

Whale Jno is on page 9.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"