Thread: HMS Charlotte

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile HMS Charlotte

In 1800 HMS Charlotte caught fire when a simple accident, a flame kept alight for signal purposes fell onto some straw. The crew and officers battled the fire for 5 hours before the ship exploded. It was a horrendous accident and of its 900 complement only about 160 survive.

One of the survivors was ISAAC KNIGHT. I do not know if he was seaman or Marine. I have been trying to find a list of the crew who survived. Surviving officers have been listed in places I have looked but I am stuck in my research for this crew man. I am after his age/date of birth; place of origin or where recruited; rank; service history; wife/family information.

If you have a suggestion, please let me know.
    Last edited by Hunterrunner; 12-01-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: adding text.

gasser

Searching British newspapers (via fmp) I was able to find a full list of survivors for this tragedy.
    And I'm not sure if this is Isaac you are looking for ....
    Born c 1771 Hampshire according to 1841 census Piece 412. Book 1b. Folio 64. Page 34

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face thanks

thanks for your reply. right on the money so you have saved me probably hours.:

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterrunner View Post
    thanks for your reply. right on the money so you have saved me probably hours.:
    Glad to help.
    Have just found this entry, quite literally, by accident !
    "Name: Isaac Knight; Ship's name: HMS Queen Charlotte; Pay book number: SB 1618; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Mother Hannah; When Alloted: 1798; Remarks: Not stated."
    https://
    discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12196280

TomBen

Spot on Gasser, I was going to mention I thought it was HMS Queen Charlotte that caught fire not HMS Charlotte but you beat me to it!

Well done sir/ma'am!

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by TomBen View Post
    Spot on Gasser, I was going to mention I thought it was HMS Queen Charlotte that caught fire not HMS Charlotte but you beat me to it!

Well done sir/ma'am!
    Thank you Tom.
    Isaac Knight is also mentioned in the Admiralty records for a service medal, although I cannot for the life of me remember how I got there! I find the NA site "gasser unfriendly' !! ��
    Ma'am = Gail by the way