Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CCarbone

Default Looking for Grandfather O'Brian

Looking for my Great Grandfather William O 'Brian or it could be O'Brien, not quite sure of spelling. He served in the Boar War, sometime during 1899-1902 possibly. He was killed in action. He was married to Ellen Vokes and had my grandmother Mary Ellen in 1899. Her married name is Mary Ellen Woodcock. She was given up for adoption when my GGrandfather was killed. He lived in Ireland, not sure though what town. If there is anyone who might be able to help me out with my family it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Cathy Carbone.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Cathy,

What have you got in the way of birth, baptism, or marriage, certificates to prove the details you've given us? And where did the marriage of William and Ellen, and then Mary Ellen's birth take place? Ireland? England?

(Ellen Vokes is a quite unusual name, but there were eleven birth registrations in England and Wales between 1837 and 1895. )

Pam

CCarbone

All I know is that the whole family is from Dublin, Ireland. My grandmother was given to The Poor Charles Convent. Ellen Vokes or it could be Croaks was born sometime in 1875, William was killed in the Boar war between 1900-1901. Ellen died when my grandmother Mary Ellen was 13 years old. Mary Ellen was born in 1899. I hope this helps. Thanks Cathy

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

no idea if this is your William...or indeed if the W stands for William...but thought I would throw it out here

First name(s)
    W

Last name
    O'Brien

Service number(s)

Rank
    Private

Regiment
    The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Units
    Unit: 1 The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Battalion, Rank: Private, Number: 3302

Casualty units
    The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Casualty details
    Killed on 23 February 1900 at Hart's Hill (Official casualty roll location: Natal)

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

You might also try the spelling Volkes as well. I've had that name spelled that way within my tree.

some quick further research has told me that this man was from Dublin.

its him.....I have found his service record,,,,he married Ellen Volkes 18th September 1898,,,the record does not say where,,,,but his previous next of kin was his father John OBrien of 188 Townsend street, Dublin. He enlisted in 1890,,,served in India and South Africa. There is a receipt for his South African medal that was posted to his mother Ellen,,,her address was given as 22 Luke Street,Dublin,,,,i cant make out the date.EDIT it looks like its dated 1902.

I think this may be Ellen with her mother in the 1901 census....if you look at the original image,,,Nokes could be Vokes ? and they are both Widows,,,which fits ??? Luke Street is in the same area,,,if you click on the TRINITY part of the 1901 census,,,it brings up the other streets in the same district ,,, what do you think ?

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...treet/1312038/

William was b 1872 in the parish of St Andrews Dublin,,,he was a general labourer by trade.

just realised the address on the 1901 census Townsend street,,,is the address on the service record for his deceased father,,,so that 1901 census looks good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast