Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lotsahunters

Smile FreeReg information

On FreeReg, I found this along with others. This is quite exciting, as they appear to be my ancestor. (Really quite sure of it!) However I cannot figure out how to determine the original source. Can anyone tell me how to use this record to obtain the primary or secondary source it came from? ThanKs!
    County Northamptonshire
    Place Flore
    Church All Saints
    RegisterNumber 217
    MarriageDate 17 Jan 1792
    GroomForename Thomas
    GroomSurname THACKER
    GroomParish Aston le Walls in This County
    GroomCondition Bachelor
    BrideForename Eliz.
    BrideSurname DUNKELEY
    BrideCondition Spinster
    WitnessOneForename Thomas
    WitnessOneSurname LINNELL
    WitnessTwoForename Wm.
    WitnessTwoSurname BLISS
    Notes Licence. Both signed X
    FileNumber 4670

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

My understanding is that data is taken from PR's,suggest you contact freereg to confirm.

Hi
    I had to go on to FreeReg to see what they have to say for themselves as it is not a site I use frequently - but I should. it confirmed what I thought I knew, see this page Here where it says " For such complete transcriptions, where these exist, the researcher should contact either the appropriate local County Record Offices or the relevant Family History Society."

Of course you do have the source. It is the church's parish register from which the transcription was taken.

Have you looked on familysearch.org? If it is also on there then you could order the film in to your nearest LDS centre.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

lotsahunters

Smile Widow Surnames when remarrying

Thanks you so much, I'll check the Family History Library. I was a little concerned because they encourage you to go to the original source due to error. One more question. Does anyone know if the surname of this widow is her given name, or her name by marriage? I don't know what denomination, but someone might know what was customary. Thanks again.
    County Northamptonshire
    Place Weedon Bec
    Church St Peter & St Paul
    RegisterNumber
    MarriageDate 01 Jan 1715/16
    GroomForename James
    GroomSurname CHETTELL
    GroomAge
    GroomParish Gt Kineton War
    GroomCondition
    GroomOccupation
    GroomAbode
    BrideForename Mary
    BrideSurname HARRIS
    BrideAge
    BrideParish Weedon Bec
    BrideCondition Widow
    BrideOccupation
    BrideAbode
    GroomFatherForename
    GroomFatherSurname
    GroomFatherOccupation
    BrideFatherForename
    BrideFatherSurname
    BrideFatherOccupation
    WitnessOneForename
    WitnessOneSurname
    WitnessTwoForename
    WitnessTwoSurname
    Notes
    FileNumber 28840

Reputation beyond repute

I was a little concerned because they encourage you to go to the original source due to error.
    Standard advice. You should always do this.

Does anyone know if the surname of this widow is her given name, or her name by marriage?
    It was the name she was known by. In the case of a widow, this would normally be her married name.

I don't know what denomination,
    This was a parish register which in England by definition meant the Church of England.

So far as the original record is concerned, you could try the web site of the County Record Office and see if they offer a reprographics service.

lotsahunters

Was it? I think it's a non-conformist record.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

lotsahunters - Both the records you've quoted are from Church of England registers.

If you're ever in any doubt, on the FreeREG opening page click on 'Counties and parishes coverage', select county, and then check the records for a parish.

In the case of Flores, your record says 'All Saints' - meaning it's definitely Church of England.
    Ditto Weedon Bec - St Peter and St Paul is Church of England.
    There are some transcribed entries for the Independent Chapels in both places, and if the entry you found was relevant to the chapel(s), then the place name would say 'Weedon Bec and Flore' and the church name would say 'Independent Chapels'.

To the best of my knowledge there are no Roman Catholic entries on FreeREG, so anything with 'Saint' in the church title will be Church of England.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

Not to mention that in England in 1792, the only place where you could get married (apart from Jews and Quakers) was a parish church (Church of England).

lotsahunters

Exclamation Yes, you're right.

Yes, I went to the Family History Library to look at the Fiche, and you are correct they're Church of England Transcripts. Most of what I do is in Ireland, a bit different there. Most of my ancestors in Ireland didn't marry until well into their 30's, but I am looking at one in England that was only 15. Is this common?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I wouldn't say it was common (though I don't have any statistics to prove/disprove that ) but it did happen.

It also depends what sort of time period you're talking about. Lots of info available if you search for something like 'legal age for marriage' (possibly adding 'UK'). Two results I found:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...rriage-in-1838
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriageable_age (copy-and-paste link)

Pam

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast