Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lotsahunters

Wink 1700"s

She was christened in 1777, an older brother was christened just a few months before her, so it's likely close to her birth date. She was married in January 1792, that would make her about 14 1/2 when she got married and the christening of her child indicates that she was definitely pregnant prior to marriage, so I suppose they'd encourage them to marry. Glad to hear it's not common. That's awful young to be having babies! The only concern I have is that she was 35 when she stopped having kids. It makes more sense for her birth date to be 1772, making the end of her child baring years around 40, and her marriage around 20. I can't find another Elizabeth though, so either the records aren't available, or this is her. Thanks for your help!

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Default Freereg

Keep in mind that not all baptisms were carried out within the year of birth,my 3Xgreat grandmother was not baptised until she was 13 years old!Finding a parish where the curate recorded birth dates is a bonus.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by lotsahunters View Post
    Thanks you so much, I'll check the Family History Library. I was a little concerned because they encourage you to go to the original source due to error. One more question. Does anyone know if the surname of this widow is her given name, or her name by marriage? I don't know what denomination, but someone might know what was customary. Thanks again.
    I would be reassured that they were giving that advice. All transcripts, no matter where they are from should be checked against the original source (that includes official transcripts from places such as the GRO.
    An attempt should also be made to ascertain whether a parish register entry is taken from an original parish register or a parish register that contains transcripts from an earlier register. Many parishes up and down the country contain registers which are either transcripts of earlier registers or contain sections which have been transcribed from earlier registers. At least one parish I heard of had three copies of the parish register in existence, plus the Bishop’s Transcript making four possible sources for information.

Quote Originally Posted by lotsahunters View Post
    She was christened in 1777, an older brother was christened just a few months before her, so it's likely close to her birth date. She was married in January 1792, that would make her about 14 1/2 when she got married and the christening of her child indicates that she was definitely pregnant prior to marriage, so I suppose they'd encourage them to marry. Glad to hear it's not common. That's awful young to be having babies!
    The legal age for marriage at that time (from 1660) was 14 for the groom and 12 for the bride with consent of their parents or guardians (from 1753).
    Though I agree it is very young to have children there are many similar girls/young women have babies today at a similar age, why should we think it would not happen in our ancestor’s time.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Etchells; 13-01-2015 at 7:36 AM. Reason: added square brackets for quote
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

janbooth

I can confirm the marriage at Flore C of E on 17 January 1792 between Thomas THACKER of Aston le Wall, bachelor & Eliz DUNKLEY of the parish, spinster, by licence (source Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837). The fact that the marriage was by licence could indicate that one, or both, of them was under the age of 21 and needed their parents' consent. If the licence survives it may give you confirmation of Elizabeth's parents. I can also confirm (source Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812) that the only likely baptism at Flore for Elizabeth is that on 11 March 1777, daughter of William & Ann DUNKLEY. There is a marriage on the Index at Flore on 16 August 1771 of a William DUNKLEY of the parish & an Anna TREDGOLD of the parish which could be relevant to you.

There is a baptism on the Index at Aston le Walls on 30 June 1771 of a Thomas THACKER son of William & Anne THACKER with a note "of Appletree born the 23rd". Several siblings, let me know if your would like details.

Janet

lotsahunters

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I can confirm the marriage at Flore C of E on 17 January 1792 between Thomas THACKER of Aston le Wall, bachelor & Eliz DUNKLEY of the parish, spinster, by licence (source Northamptonshire Marriage Index 1700-1837). The fact that the marriage was by licence could indicate that one, or both, of them was under the age of 21 and needed their parents' consent. If the licence survives it may give you confirmation of Elizabeth's parents. I can also confirm (source Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812) that the only likely baptism at Flore for Elizabeth is that on 11 March 1777, daughter of William & Ann DUNKLEY. There is a marriage on the Index at Flore on 16 August 1771 of a William DUNKLEY of the parish & an Anna TREDGOLD of the parish which could be relevant to you.

There is a baptism on the Index at Aston le Walls on 30 June 1771 of a Thomas THACKER son of William & Anne THACKER with a note "of Appletree born the 23rd". Several siblings, let me know if your would like details.

Janet
    Yes, this is the correct family, Thomas was born 22 June 1771. I have 1841 and 1851 census records, a marriage record, and a burial record. I have information on one sibling, Hannah born 29 August 1773 and christened 26 September 1773, I don't have any supporting sources though. Hannah married Richard Harring, but I don't know when. No sources there either. I don't know anything about Richard Harring. William Thacker married Anne Capel on 10 October 1770 in Aston le Walls. I have found christening and burial records for him and his siblings, but that's all I have in the way or sources. I recorded the information off the microfiche. I have no sources whatsoever on Anne Capel. If it helps, Williams parents are John Thacker and Katherine Gardiner. I only have marriage and burial dates, once again recorded off the microfiche. Anne's father must be Reverend Edward Gardiner who was buried 3 August 1769, unless he's a brother. Any thing you have I'd love to get!

janbooth

Right, I'll start with Thomas THACKER's sibling (source Northamptonshire Baptismal Index 1751-1812), and I am sorry if I misled you as the "several baptisms" were for the children of Thomas & Elizabeth. The only sibling that I can find for Thomas is Hannah who was born 29th August and baptised 26 September 1773, daughter of William & Anne THACKER of Appletree.

Marriage, as you say, at Aston le Walls on 10 October 1770 between William THACKER & Anne CAPEL, both of the parish. Hannah THACKER married Richard HARRING on 9 February 1791 at Sulgrave by licence, both of them being shown as of the parish. Cannot find any children to this couple being baptised on the Baptismal Index, but the Baptismal & Burial Indices do not cover the Soke of Peterborough.

Burials with either an Appletree or Aston le Walls connection (source Burial Index 1751-1812):

20 April 1775 at Aston le Walls William THACKALL of Appletree
    12 April 1808 at Northampton All Saints Ann THACKER wife of Thomas THACKER
    14 September 1752 at Aston le Walls Elizabeth THACKER of Appletree
    23 November 1779 at Aston le Walls John THACKER
    27 May 1770 at Aston le Walls Katharine THACKER of Appletree, wife of John
    9 September 1802 at Aston le Walls Sarah daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth THACKER of Appletree
    20 February 1802 at Aston le Walls Thomas THACKER of Appletree

More to follow

Janet

janbooth

Anne CAPEL is proving somewhat difficult to find. There are no other female CAPEL marriages at Aston le Walls and very few baptisms for an Anne CAPEL on the Index in about the correct timescale given that she married in 1770. These are the possibilities:

2 September 1733 at Stow Nine Churches C of E Anne daughter of Robert & Elisabeth CAPEL
    21 September 1743 at Gayton Anne CAPEL adult "Nicholas and his sister Anne both adult persons"
    7 April 1754 at Bozeat Ann daughter of Samuel & Margret

Have I missed something somewhere. I have re-read your reply and you state that "Anne's father must be Rev Edward GARDINER unless he is a brother". However, she was married as Anne CAPEL and no mention of her being a widow.

Is the burial of William THACKALL in 1775 actually your William THACKER who married Anne CAPEL? It might explain why there are no more children to this couple. It might also explain a marriage by licence at Aston le Walls on 27 December 1777 of an Anne THACKER of the parish to a John GARRETT of Witmester (?), Gloucestershire. Will have to do a bit more research on that.

Back a generation now to children of John & Katherine THACKER (source Northants Baptismal Index 1701-1750) all at Aston le Walls:

19 May 1728 William son of John & Katharine THACKER
    15 March 1730 Elizabeth daughter of John & Katherine THACKER
    8 April 1733 Alice daughter of John & Katherine THACKER, buried 7 January 1734
    Born 1 and baptised 6 April 1735 John son of John & Katherine THACKER
    Born 10 baptised 12 March 1738 Mary daughter of John & Katherine THACKER of Appletree
    Born 28 August baptised 21 September 1740 Michael son of John & Catherine THACKER of Appletree
    Born 15 & baptised 22 April 1744 Anne daughter of John & Catherine THACKER of Appletree

13 September 1727 at Aston le Walls John THACKER & Katharine GARDINER, both of the parish

Ah, have just answered my own question. You mean Katherine was connected to the Rev Edward GARDINER.

There I come to a bit of a full stop as I cannot find baptisms for either John or Katherine in the pre 1700 Baptismal Index. Will keep trying though.

Janet

lotsahunters

Smile Oops!

Janet,

No you're not missing something, I goofed. Catherine's father must be the reverend, not Annes. Did you try Hannah Capel, the family seems to use the names interchangeably. I haven't finished reading your posts, but thank you so much! This helps a lot!

Becky

lotsahunters

Janet,
    Anne, Hannah, and Nancy appear to be interchangeable, did you try all three? The birth date on familysearch for Anne is about 1732, no indication where it came from. Is it possible this was her second marriage? How about a second marriage for William who was 42 years old when they married. Does the marriage record indicate whether either party was widowed? I'm interested in Anne's possible remarriage. I have the death for William in 1775, got it off the microfiche, so I must have thought it said Thacker.
    I appreciate you giving me the sources. Do you know how to create a correct citation? Do you know if I need to include a link to the crown copyright when sourcing?
    Two mysteries,
    1. Thomas and Elizabeth named a daughter Anne in 1796 and a daughter Hannah(Nancy) in 1797. Is there a burial record for this first Anne? I've never seen both names used in one family.
    2. Who is Thomas? Do you mind checking for a baptismal record? Would they have said wife of Thomas if she was widowed at the time of her death, or are there two mysterious Thomas's? Is Northampton another parish? Perhaps we don't need to be concerned about the first record. But I definately want to find out who this Thomas from Appletree is.
    12 April 1808 at Northampton All Saints Ann THACKER wife of Thomas THACKER
    20 February 1802 at Aston le Walls Thomas THACKER of Appletree
    Thanks again for all your help!

lotsahunters

The reason I ask is because John and Catherine are not traditional names for this family, and neither are the names of most of their children. It makes more sense for this Thomas to be William's father, as Thomas is William's son's name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast