Default Family Tree Maker 2014

Please tell me I am not going mad! I have just been forced to purchase this because the 2005 version won't work on windoze 8.1. I have duly loaded and clipped the wings of said program so it no longer has the ability to share all my stuff on Ancestry - I will dictate who see what thank you.

I cannot find anywhere that lets me see a real family tree. I can view and print any number of pedigrees but an ancestor tree seems to be no longer available.

How do I print a tree starting with the furthest back ancestor so everyone at the family reunion can see who they are descended from and how they are related to the person standing next to them?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Brick wall demolition expert!

I haven't seen 2014 version but I have 2012.

Is there a tab (top line) called "publish"?

If there is then a list of charts and reports and you select the one that you want?

On 2012 there is a "descendant chart", but you have to have selected the individual who's descendants you want to see in the "people" tab at the top of the page.

If 2014 looks nothing like this sorry.

Ann, you're going to hate me for this, but I'm running 2005 on Win 8.1.... I installed it before I checked. Win 8.x tells you if there's a compatimbility issue and offers a fix.

I'm running 2011 as well. I kept 2005 because it has a feature or two that they've removed from later versions that I use... 2011 works as Megan describes.

Thank you Megan!!! It is so different to what I am used to that I was off on a rant before I really explored. Why the heck would you put the descendant chart under publish not print??? Now I shall be looking at what else is hidden from me.

Lesley thanks for the information I kept getting fatal error messages so I stopped using it because I was afraid I might lose the files. I even went to the trouble of saving each file twice under a different name just incase the program ate it. Now that shows how experienced I am at losing stuff to computer failure

I just knew it would be quicker to ask on here than try to get official help and once again the marvellous members of B-G have come up trumps
    My thanks to both of you
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It took me quite a while to get used to everything - or at least the features that I now use. The most different aspect was the layout pages for people - the 2 tabs - Family and Person. It's worth having a good look around to see what is there.

There are still some things that I hanker after ..................... but's that's progress

I routinely work in 2011, and have to make a gedcom if I want to go back to 2005 to use something like the all in one tree or a couple of the reports.
    Mind you, I'm paranoid enough to have a duplicate set of backup files in a folder FTM won't find, just in case. Always have done this for all files ever since the days of my first, 12K Acorn Atom. These days, they're on an external drive.

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

What I always do too is take screen captures and save them as a jpg and keep them in my pic folders.
    I have also uploaded my pics to my photobucket site as well just in case my computer crashes I sill have the pics on photobucket. One can always keep the pics in a private album on photobucket as well if they choose to do so.

I have also put my info into word pad as a table. Which I have also uploaded to photobucket. You can see what I mean with this addy.

https://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Ma...?sort=6&page=1

I simply keep the FTM files in my dropbox. I started that before the last computer curled up and died. I keep all the stuff I don't want to lose in there cos it saves to three places - my computer, dropbox and Mr M's computer

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

Always good to keep copies whatever way one can for sure. Especially when computers have minds of their own.