hmcullum

Default Electoral Roll lookup please - Northants

Hello

Is anyone able to help with an electoral roll lookup for Northamptonshire during the late 1940s or early 1950s?

I am trying to put some jigsaw pieces together and it would be useful to understand all of the family groups that lived in the area at the time.

Ideally a lookup for 1953 or 1954 for the name LETTS in WEST HADDON.

Many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

You would need to go to somewhere like Northants Record Office or the British Library.

Although there was supposed to be a project outsourced to Findmypast to digitise the British Library's collection of electoral registers, I haven't heard anything about it recently.

I don't know how familiar you are with electoral registers but they are arranged by address and, unless someone has digitised them with some sort of indexing, you simply can't "look up" a name, only an address.

hmcullum

Peter

Thank you very much. I will try these routes. Are the electoral rolls ordered by village name though so that I could scan through for all relevant names?

Reputation beyond repute

They're arranged by address within polling district (so that when you turn up to vote, there's only one list to check off). Often record offices have various finding aids to help you find the right volume.