deesley

Default 26th Regiment of Foot

Hello,

I'm having some trouble finding records for James Williamson, Private, 26th Regiment of Foot, serving in Quebec in 1798. I'm not holding out much hope in getting help, since I've only joined this website for a day, but if anyone has any advice my email address is deesleyvt AT yahoo DOT com

James Williamson is my 5th great grandfather.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nadine
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 31-12-2014 at 3:47 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Nadine,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I would suggest that you continue your 'membership' to Brit-Gen for more than one day, because often a reply may not become available for days, weeks, even a year or more. During which time your email address may have altered.
    Also some people will not like to reply to you direct as it means they will have to reveal their email address to you.

The best thing to do is to ensure that you have 'email notification of new posts' made to the thread ticked in the 'general settings'. In the top blue banner, click 'forum actions', then select 'general settings'.
    Make sure 'Default thread subscription mode' says 'daily, using email', end then scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'save changes'. You will only receive a notification if a reply has been posted in the thread.
    If you also select 'receive private messages from all members' and 'receive email notification of private messages' that is a way people can reply to you on an individual basis but without revealing their email address.

If you could be a little clearer about the sort of records you're looking for about James - service records, baptism, marriage, death, burial - as well as telling us what details you already know about him it would help us to possibly help you.

Pam

deesley

Thank you for these suggestions Pam. They're very helpful. I don't know much about James Williamson. I only have a copy of one document with his signature and very little information. The document is a birth record of his daughter, Mary, born in Quebec in 1798. His wife's name is also Mary. The document states that he is a Private in His Majesty's 26th Regiment of foot. It's also signed by John Jack of the same Regiment. I'm trying to find out where he was born. I've searched other military records...there are quite a few James Williamsons...but nothing matches the Regiment and approx. dates of service.

Thanks again for your help Pam,
    Nadine

thewideeyedowl

Default Websites with background info

Hi Nadine and a very warm welcome to Brit Gen...

Though I cannot offer specific help with your James Williamson, I can suggest some useful sites to investigate. The 26th Regiment of Foot was also known as the Cameroonian Regiment. On this page from the Napoleon series, you will see where it was deployed and the names of the officers: https://www.napoleon-series.org/milit..._26thFoot.html. At the foot of that page there is an excellent bibliography - in particular, check out Google Books.

The historian Barbara Chambers has done a lot of work on the Napoleonic wars, using sources in The National Archives (TNA), so visit: https://www.britisharmyresearchnapoleonicwars.co.uk. You will see that she has produced many CDs, including one that includes the 26th Regiment of Foot.

These are just a few pointers - hoping you will hang around a bit and let us know how you are getting on. I'll keep an eye out for your JW.

Owl