Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Kathryn Norman

Smile 17th Century Emmigration

Dear Deb:
    Thank you so much for your continual interest in helping me in this brick wall! I thought that you were doing something and would eventually contact me. I have faith! I'm still researching Cornwall for a trace of them and recently found a John Norman in the town next to Padstow who had a store with a Hicks. He had to have been born around 1800 because he was half owner of the store in 1840. The name of the store was Hicks and Norman. I later found that the Normans' first name was John....well, of course, it isn't OUR John but it could be one of the Padstow Normans who moved to Wadebridge (in the same area.) So, this John could possible be a cousin...as John, William & Oliver were constant names in our and the Padstow Norman families. Anything is possible!
    Thanks again Deb! I'm patient.....I don't want to impose too much on your time.
    Gratefully,
    Kathryn

Leander

Hello Kathryn,

I bet you thought I forgot about you. Not so. :-)

Every now and then I go looking for your Normans. There hasn't been much luck in looking for your particular line, but at least I should present the following info:

Source: Passenger and Immigration Lists Index - edited by P William Filby with Mary K Meyer.

Each year another volume or two is published as a supplement.

================================================== ============

Year
    of
    Supp Name (age/n.a).; destination, arrival yr Source

1985 John Norman n.a.; Maryland, n.d. 4510 p260 Land Notes, 1634-1655 (1913)

1986 Peter Norman n.a.; America, 1739 1217.3 p109 Coldham: Bonded Passengers to America

1987 John Norman n.a.; Maryland, 1722 1217.2 p209 Coldham: Bonded Passengers to America

1987 William Norman n.a.; Maryland, 1744 1217.2 p198 Coldham: Bonded Passengers to America

1987 Wm Norman n.a.: Maryland, 1743 3700 p117 Kaminkow and Kaminkow - Original Lists of Emigrants in Bondage from London to the American Colonies, 1717-1724

1988 William Norman n.a.; Rappahannock, 1217.9 p54 Coldham: Bonded Passengers to America VA, 1728

1999 John Norman; America, 1725 1220.12 p586 Coldham, P W: The Complete Book of
    Emigrants in Bondage 1614-1775

1999 John Norman; Maryland, 1722 1220.12 p586 Coldham, P W: The Complete Book of

1999 Peter Norman; America, 1739 1220.12 p586 Coldham, P W: The Complete Book of

1999 William Norman; Ruppahannock, VA, 1728 1220.12 p586 Coldham, P W: The Complete Book of

2000 John Norman; Died enroute, 1726 1229.10 p29 Coldham, Peter Wilson - The Kings
    Passengers to MD & VA

2000 Peter Norman; Maryland, 1739 1229.10 p83 Coldham, Peter Wilson - The Kings
    Passengers to MD & VA

2000 William Norman; Maryland, 1744 1229.10 p105 Coldham, Peter Wilson - The Kings
    Passengers to MD & VA

2000 William Norman; Virginia, 1728 1229.10 p36 Coldham, Peter Wilson - The Kings
    Passengers to MD & VA
    ================================================== ======
    The following variations were searched: Noorman, Noormann, Norman, Normann, Mormen,
    Normon, Norrmann.

Keep in mind that one person may have made several trips. Also, sometimes people with a middle name used their middle name as a first name, so it was researched that way too.

In that era it was considered each person's right to spell their name any way they saw fit -- or to change their given names and surnames -- making it difficult to track some people.

From what you've told us here, none of the folks in the above list sound terribly promising, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

Cheers!

Deb

Kathryn Norman

Question 17th Century Emigration records

Dear Deb:
    I'm so sorry I didn't see the work you've done on my Norman Family until recently as I haven't been logging in to the B-G Forums for a couple of years..at least it seems that long.
    I hope that you get to see this note....because I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf. I'm afraid my brickwall has discouraged me. I can't find John and his siblings' anywhere . The earliest record of John's whereabouts is in the book "The History of Orange County, New York" where he had been mentioned a couple of times as serving as Captain in the Rev. War.
    The names with the places you supplied don't fit, I'm sorry to say. He was supposed to have gone to Albany, N.Y. first....as I had mentioned before, but there's no trace there either. But thank you again. The Padstow Normans are probably ours as they are the only Normans in Cornwall, at that time with our rather large name pattern....but the 70 missing years leave me hanging so I can't prove it....frustrating.
    Thanks again, Deb. If I can be any help to you with your family let me know.
    Peace!
    Kathryn

Leander

Hi ya, Kathryn.

Thank you for your kind words. I know what it's like to get discouraged. It took me more than 2.5 years and many hours of almost constant research to find one missing link in the family. After that I stopped for quite some time. All that intensive research can be downright exhausting! :-)

I look for your Normans whenever I come across a new source of information. I feel very confident that they never made it as far north as Albany.

Just a few months ago I went to Albany's Hall of Records. They kept excellent records on deeds and land grants and estates, for both buyers and sellers. The books, dating as far back as the early 1600s (when it was mostly the Dutch who were here), are readily available to the public, well indexed and cross-referenced, ordered by year and, then, alphabetically by names on the documents.

I spent a good deal of time looking for your Normans. That's not a chore because it's fun to go through old records. There was only one Norman mentioned in any of the records -- I believe we discussed this in an earlier post -- belonging to a woman from a different Norman line.

When the Dutch were here in the 1600s, Albany was known as Fort Orange. In 1664 the Dutch surrendered to the British. When it was turned over to the Brits the city's name was changed to Albany. I think this is where someone conflated the town/city of Orange, NY (where your Normans lived, about 100 or so miles SSW of Albany) with the old name of Albany (known as Fort Orange before 1664/1665).

That, along with a complete lack of records in Albany for your Normans, leads me to believe that they never established any residency in Albany, if they were ever here at all. I don't think they would have had much reason to come this far north, since they settled along the NY/NJ border and later moved to NJ, so it seems they were always well south of Albany.

But, whenever I come across some book or collection of records that might provide a clue, I take a look. Maybe someday we'll solve the mystery.

Happy Holidays!

Deb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123