Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    genenutt

Talking 17th century emigration records

I am trying fo locate where the registers for 17th century English subjects emigrating to the North American colonies such as Virginia. I have a male ancester who appears on the Virginia colonial records in 1650. I have no clue as to when he arrived here or from where.
    I would appreciate any assistance you might have for me.
    Nancy
    From the "show-me" state across the pond.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by genenutt
    I am trying fo locate where the registers for 17th century English subjects emigrating to the North American colonies such as Virginia. I have a male ancester who appears on the Virginia colonial records in 1650.
    There aren't as such, registers of emigration. Finding information may be a lengthy process and may involve trawling several sources.

There is a web-site for passenger lists, I don't know how extensive it is, or the sources it uses, but you might have a look
    https://www.immigrantships.net/

If he was not a free emigrant, you should try a large library to find P W Coldham's books on bonded passengers.

continued......

Geoffers

part 2....

Look at The National Archives (TNA) web-site
    https://www.catalogue.nationalarchive...uidesindex.asp
    and click on 'E' and then 'Emigrants'

TNA has some records of emgration to the various colonies in document class E157 for the period 1634-9.

Did he come from a family with wealth and land? Maybe there is a will, or prior to emigration there was a transfer of land? If the land was held direct from the Crown (called tenure in chief), then to dispose of the land would need approval of the Crown which was given as something known as a 'licence to alienate'. If any of his family who held land by tenure in chief, died before 1660; then there would have been an Inquisition Post Mortem. Records are again at TNA.

continued...

Geoffers

part 3.......

Do you have any idea what part of the country he came from?

Does your chap, by any chance have an unusual surname? A few surnames can be connected with a specific area or parish.

Did he emigrate as a single, or married man? Do you know if he was a soldier or sailor?

Geoffers

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello Nancy
    If you havent already found this site it may be of some help
    https://ajax.lva.lib.va.us/F/?func=fi...al_base=CLAS27...............i also see Ancestry has records for a fee !
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:12 PM.

Shawnell

Default Early immigration ship records

Dear Genenutt;

You said: "17th century emigration records

I am trying fo locate where the registers for 17th century English subjects emigrating to the North American colonies such as Virginia."

Try this link. It's free and every time I go back to it there is something new.

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/#005

Title: DUNHAM - WILCOX - TROTT - KIRK

I understand your frustration, one of my biggest blocks is in the mid-west. But take heart, more records are making it to the www everyday. I'll see what more I can find.

Shawnell

Leander

Hello.

Speaking from a research point of view, one generally should always check New England records even if their ancestor shows up in other parts of the U.S. early in the "great migration", as there is a reasonably good chance that they arrived in New England before heading out to another destination. Not always, but often enough to warrant a check of New England records. This is especially true during the 17th and 18th centuries.

If your ancestor spent any amount of time in Massachusetts, there's probably a record on him/her. Massachusetts kept excellent records. From wills, deeds, births, deaths, marriages, correspondence, baptisms, and family bibles, if your ancestor did anything in Mass., there's a record somewhere.

From 1830 on, New York kept excellent records on port arrivals. The overwhelming majority of post-1820 immigrants from the British Isles arrived in New York City.

I have many early North American records, especially those of New England and New York, including early migration records and Loyalist records, as well as many historical registers.

If anyone needs to find an American ancestor, I'd be happy to see if they can found amongst my records. Simply provide as much information as you have on the person and/or their family and I'll see if I have any records/info about them.

Cheers!

Deb

Kathryn Norman

Question 17th Century Emmigration

Dear Deb:
    We have been unable to find my ancestor, John Normans' record of immigration to the "Colonies". It is "said" that he departed Cornwall "about 1750" with seven brothers, two whose names were William and Oliver...(don't know the others for certain.) He is said to have first landed in Albany, N.Y.Do you have any suggestions as to where I could search for a record of immigration? I searched your suggested websites but could find nothing. We don't belong to the family of Richard Norman who emmigrated in the 1600s and went to Mass. We also don't belong to the Virginia Normans or Southern Normans....(our DNA doesn't match.) So, Deb, if you have any further suggestions I would be grateful. I also searched on Ancestry. I wish I had more concrete information to give you .....but I don't. To confuse matters I recently read that New Jersey was known, in the 1700s as "New Albania"!!! Could that have been construed as Albany? John and his brothers ended up in New Jersey. Thank you!
    Peace!
    Kathryn E. Norman
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2007 at 7:26 PM.

Kathryn Norman

Smile 17th Century Emmigration

Just want to make a note that I looked into Geoffers' suggestion for the National Archives which mentioned New York, and East & West New Jersey. It looks quite complicated to get the information but a "thank you" to Geoffers who always is such a great help. Now I have to figure the "rules" on retrieving this information! Thank you all!
    Peace!
    Kathryn E. Norman

Leander

Hi, Kathyrn. I'm sorry, but have been away. I will do some searching tomorrow (Saturday) evening. Will get back do you on Sunday.

Cheers!

Deb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast