Default HENRY DANIEL LEVY-ESTHER ISAACS

This new thread is a follow on from an earlier thread "Lewis Isaacs-Catherine Solomon". The focus of this thread is Henry Daniel Levy b 1833 Old Kent Road Surrey the son of Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs. The Morning Chronicle Saurday August 14, 1858 recorded the Marriage of Henry to Esther- On the 11th inst. Henry second son of Daniel Levy Esq of Hunter Street Brunswick Square to Esther youngest daughter of Lewisd Isaac Esq of Markham Square. As identified in the earlier thread Esther was the daughter of Lewis Isaacs aka Isaac and Catherine Solomon.
    It appeared from the 1861 and 1871 Census that Esther was married but living with her parents and I raised the question why this might have occurred.
    There are family trees on Ancestry.Com which appear to have mixed up Henry Levy with an Esther but these do not appear to be the correct couple.

There is also a family tree which contains part data from the marriage certificate of Henry to Esther with his age given as 24 and father Daniel Levy. Henry's occupation given as wholesale china warehouseman.

The London Gazette may explain why Henry and Esther were not living together in later census:
    The London Gazette April 19, 1859
    Henry Daniel Levy late of 102 High Holborn Middlesex having a private house 23 Wellington Square Chelsea Middlesex Dealer in China and Glass in the Queen's Prison

Phillip

Default HENRY DANIEL LEVY-ESTHER ISAACS SEPARATION

This is a follow up post which includes new data on Henry Daniel Levy and Esther Isaacs. The data confirms that they separated but there is no current record of a 'get'. In addition, post the death of her father Lewis in 1879 I cannot trace Esther further. There are online family trees which have her married but they are not the correct person. Esther was born in Chatham Kent and these trees have census data with her place of birth London. They also fail to identify that she was living with her parents from 1861 and with her father in 1871 in Census records.

The new data is from Indenture parchments held originally by Diane Brennan called the Gee Parchments and published in 1999 Ontario Canada. Access to these records appears to be very limited and subscription required.
    These parchments include a wide variety of different data relating to various individuals over a long period of time. Some of the records relate to Jewish individuals and provide important additional data linking families.

The following is only a summary of the original document and I have not seen the parchments nor do I know if they still exist. The story of how she obtained the parchments will be posted later.

In the case of Henry Daniel Levy and Esther Isaacs the Indentures include:
    May 14 1860 Henry Daniel Levy who had lived at 23 Wellington Square Chelsea and 102 High Holborn Middlesex
    Wholesale China and Glass Dealer.The document relates to his marriage settlement to Esther Isaacs August 10 1857 and later separation. He owed Saul Isaacs a debt of £23. 13 shillings.
    Saul Isaacs was a brother of Esther and the lines are well documented. He was an Army outfitter St.James Street Pall Mall 1860 and son of Lewis Isaacs and Catherine Solomon. Michael Jolles has written in detail about the Isaacs and I have posted previous threads on the lines.
    Esther is also referred to in an indenture May 14 1860 regarding her marriage settlement and separation.
    Daniel Levy father of Henry ( his wife is Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses- I have posted on the lines some years ago and there is an online Jacobs Family Tree data base).
    The Indenture for Daniel Levy May 14 1860 gives his address as Hunter Street Brunswick Square Middlesex Gentleman and refers to an earlier Indenture August 10 1858 in which Esther Levy nee Isaacs names him as a Trustee.
    Nathaniel Isaacs another of the Isaacs relatives and well documented living at Brookslade near Liverpool Lancaster merchant is also a Trustee May 14 1860 regarding the marriage settlement and separation.

In #1 of this thread I recorded that Henry and Esther were married in 1858 but Henry was in a debtor's prison in 1859. The marriage was over before it had begun.
    To date, I cannot trace Henry post his marriage.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

My thanks to a Jacobs cousin for providing further data on Esther Isaacs. She married between 1871-1881 an unknown first name HENRY. Her will shows- Esther HENRY 1895 85 Sutherland Avenue Paddington Middlesex widow died 21 August 1895-probate to Rachel Catherine GODFREY (wife of Samuel Godfrey). Rachel was as sister of Esther. Newspaper records show her at the residence of her brother in law Samuel Godfrey and noted she died after a long and painful illness. Her GRO Death Index Record -Esther HENRY July qtr 1895 b abt 1830 Paddington 1a 25 age 65.
    She is buried Willesden Jewish Cemetery 23/8/1895 Section B Row L1 Plot 8
    Samuel Godfrey is the son of Godfrey SOLOMON and Judith DAVIS- NSM 404 Synagogue Scribes July 11 1810
    Esther is recorded in the 1891 Census
    RG12 7 7 7 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    35 Sutherland Avenue Paddington London
    Samuel GODFREY H M 76 Living on own means b London; Rachel wife 64 b London; Esther HENRY sister widow 62 b London
    1881 Census
    RG11 7 47 14 (Crown Copyright TNA)
    1 Bristol Gardens Paddington London
    Esther HENRY H widow 46 Private Income b Brompton Kent
    Maria Solomon visitor u 45 Private Means b London

Further research is needed to confirm when Esther married and to whom- there is no FreeBMD Data to confirm such a marriage and nothing to confirm if she did divorce Henry Daniel Levy. Similarly, nothing is known about what happened to Henry post imprisonment and separation from Esther circa 1860.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"