DianaCanada

Default Cause of death - Fever in the Spirits?

Happily just found a burial record for an ancestor on Anc*. She died in Hornby, Lancs. in 1791 of consumption. The second entry on the page gives the cause of death as "Fever in the Spirits" (capitals as recorded). Anyone come across this term before? I never have. The next one is recorded as dying from "Fever in the Brain". Other causes of the 6 deaths on the page were dropsy, old age, and consumption. (Also very glad the vicar did record the causes!)
    Love to hear any theories on what "Fever in the Spirits" means.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could be Fever of the Spirits - nervous or hysteric fever, also known as the vapours. Usually afflicting those who were delicate or in decline, especially women by all accounts!

Middle-Sapling5

I came upon this term in Beatrix Potter's book, she was said to have periods of Fever of Spirit, which was taken to mean she was depressed at times.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I have never come across this expression before. I have seen one death certificate which records the cause of death as "decline", and I am led to believe that this is another euphemism for TB, although my first inclination was to think that this was some kind of mental illness, but apparently not.

This website may help, but maybe too many causes!

https://www.antiquusmorbus.com/English/EnglishF.htm

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Derby Mercury, May 1746
    "Lately published -
    1. The Symptoms, Nature, Causes and Cure of the Febricula or Little Fever: Commonly called the Nervous or Hysterics Fever; the Fever on the Spirits; Vapours, Hypo or Spleen. By Sir Richard Manningham, Knt, M.D.F.R.S and of the College of Physicians, London. Price 2s 6d"

Sir Robert Walpole was reported to have gone down with it 22 April 1721.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

DianaCanada

Thank you all for your input. I do not think it is tuberculosis, Megan, as both my ancestor and another person's cause of death was consumption, so would assume that was the term used in the parish for TB.