jsligi

Default Jewish Tailor of military uniforms

I am looking for information about my great-grandfather Solomon Chapman. There is a family story that he made uniforms for the British military in the late 1800'2.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

Can you give us a little more information on your ggrandfather? When and where was he born, where did he live,parent'snames. Anything you know about him.

I have taken a look at the censuses but so far can only come up with ag labs, grocer, baker and miner.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

jsligi

He was born January 1870 in Russia. His wife's maiden name was Esther Kaufman. While in England they had at least one son named Samuel who was born around 1896.

Hi
    So this is your Solomon and family on the 1900 US census? it gives a base from which to work.
    Philadelphia Ward 24, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Solomon Chapman 30 Tailor born Russia Married 1895 Immigrated 1896
    Esther Chapman 24 Russia
    Samuel Chapman 4 born June 1896 England
    David Chapman 10/12 born July 1899 Russia
    Benj Blackman 46 father Tailor immigrated 1900 (seems a bit young and surname wrong) Russia. Married 1873

Samuel born England 1896 then immigrated to US same year, 1896 then back to Russia for birth of David in 1899 doesn't mean much time in England. I can't see him on the 1891 UK census.
    There are quite a few Samuel Chapmans born in England 1896 -1897 so the only way to order his birth certificate from the GRO would be to stipulate his parent's names as Solomon and Esther nee Kaufman. This certificate would tell you where they were living and Solomon's occupation. Whether it just says Tailor or goes in to his specific employer?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs