South Aussie

Default Romany Christenings

I've just signed up on here.

A few weeks ago I spotted that Newton Kyme, West Riding, Yorkshire, where my great grandmother's brother marries had christenings in number way out of proportion to the villages population.

It has 20 families and a Search Results from Historical Records shows

1-20 of 14,556 results for Batch Number:I02539-6

It looks to me like a place Romany frequented, thoughts on this anyone? Here is the link, enter your family names an see how many come up:

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AI02539-6

Mike

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I couldn't see any that are the known Romany names. Loveridge / Gray / Waterfield / Boswell / Smith

The Romany fayre is still held at Appleby Bridge https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleby_Horse_Fair

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I've had a couple of attempts at solving this mystery - got the wrong end of the stick on both of them - and the final answer is far from satisfactory, but basically someone has made a dog's dinner of the indexing.

Firstly, you get a very large number of entries attributed to Newton-Kyme, but if you look further there are multiple entries for one event.
    e.g. First entry is for Annie Gertrude Abbey and on the right-hand side of her entry it says 'father Thomas Edward Abbey', and the next entry in the list says 'Thomas Edward Abbey, father of bride'. So you immediately have two entries for one event. And you'll find that you have two more entries with the names of the groom and his father. So in total there are four entries for that one marriage/event.
    Not all the entries are for marriages. As you say, there are christenings as well, and they have three entries - one each for the names of the baby, mother, and father. So the alleged 14,556 results are reduced by at least a third.

The plot thickens when you look further at the marriage for Annie Gertrude Abbey. FreeBMD indexes the marriage taking place in York registration district. https://www. ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/york.html
    Newton-Kyme in 1897 is in Tadcaster registration district. https://www. ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/regindex2-1.pdf

Same thing with Alice Maude Akers to Arthur Firbank Merryweather, whose marriage is listed on page 6. Marriage took place in York registration district. In 1891 Alice is living in the ecclesiastical parish of St Mary Bishophill Senior, York, as she and Arthur are in 1901. (RG13/4440 folio 119 page 13)

The next entry I looked at was Fred Abbott, whose christening in 1888 is near the bottom of page 1. Parents George and Sarah.
    In 1891 the family are living in the civil parish of St Mary Bishophill Senior, York. (RG12/3889 folio 53 page 7) His elder brother George Matthew, is also in the entries, and both Fred and George Matthew have birth registrations in York registration district.

Someone with a birth registration in the same quarter (Dec 1888) as Fred Abbott is Lilian Charlotte Silversides. Guess who's in the LDS film/indexing list? And guess who's also living in the civil/ecclesiastical parish of St Mary Bishophill Senior, York in the 1891 census?

My gut feeling is that the majority, possibly all, of the entries, that are currently indexed as Newton-Kyme are actually for the parish of St Mary Bishopshill Senior, York. But only the LDS will be able to confirm it. If you contact them, feel free to quote the details I've given.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

There's something dodgy about all the IGI "I" batches.