Thread: George's Stars?

McGregor

Question George's Stars?

I am looking for a Graham, first name unknown. He was my great-great-great grandmother's brother. Her name was Janet Graham. Both were born in Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland to William and Helen/Jessie Graham. In the family papers, it's mentioned that Janet's brother was killed at Waterloo, and was one of George's Stars.

Any ideas on finding out information on George's Stars and this possible Graham? I can't find out anything what unit George"s Stars belonged to. Thank you, Barbara

Hello and welcome to British-Genealogy forums
    I am wondering if the reference to George's Star is to do with the awarding of the Waterloo Medal to new recruits.
    Wikipedia "The medal was issued in 1816–17 to every soldier present at one or more of these battles. They were also credited with two years extra service and pay, to count for all purposes
    This is the first medal issued by the British Government to all soldiers present at an action. the time the granting of this medal, it was anything but popular in the British Army, the veterans of the Peninsula War feeling aggrieved that those who were present at Waterloo—many of them raw recruits, who had never seen a shot fired before—should receive such a public acknowledgement of their achievements; while they, who had undergone the labours and privations of the whole war, had had no recognition of their services beyond the thirteen votes of thanks awarded to them in Parliament."

FMP has some military records for Grahams serving at around this period but as you say we need his first name to see if one of the records is his.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

McGregor

Hi Christina,
    Thank you so much for replying to my query. How do I look at the list of Grahams at FMP? Is there a chance that there would be a list of where the soldiers were from? He was from Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland. His father's name was William and his mother's name either Jessie or Helen. Thank you again for your help! British military history confuses me! Barbara