The Tank

Default Wellingborough Newspapers October 1919

Hi Folks

I'm hoping someone who has researched Newspaper archives in Northants can help me.

I'm after a particular article that I'm told appeared in a Wellingborough newspaper on the 21st October 1919 about an Agnes Lardner after stopping a bolting horse running into a group of school children.

First of all I'm after some detail on the name(s) of newspapers that served Wellingborough at the time and then where I can access the archives so that I can get a copy of the article for a couple of Agnes' neices.

Cheers

Starting to feel at home

There is a Miss Daisy Lardner who stopped two runaway horses in Northamptonshire and was The Distinguished Service Bar.
    Gill

The Tank

Hi Gill
    It certainly sounds about right. If it's the lady I'm after, she was the daughter of Agnes and James Lardner who died in WW1 while serving with the Royal Field Artillery.

Famous for offering help & advice

There's something in the Northampton Mercury, 21 November 1919 - looks like the award of the Distinguished Service Bar.
    Sorry, I don't have a current sub to british newspaper archive, so can't investigate further.

Jane

The article that Jane found is also on Findmypast which has free access this weekend!

There is quite a lot of information including the fact that Daisy had been in the land army for 12 months. It tells how the accident occurred, where Daisy was living and working and the awarding and presentation of the Land Girls "VC" by Princess Mary in London on November 27.
    Daisy's home was at Ibstock Leicestershire. No parents named.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The Tank

Perfect, Many thanks to all, just what I was looking for.

Palison

Default Daisy Lardner

Quote Originally Posted by The Tank View Post
    Perfect, Many thanks to all, just what I was looking for.
    Daisy Lardner is my grandmother and I know quite a lot about this. I have a copy off the newspaper article, unfortunately we do not have this medal, my grandmother must have lost it when she moved house.