Janette1169

Smile How many towns in the Parish of Aghaloo?

Hi. I am trying to trace whether or not my 4x great grandfather was born in Aughnacloy or not. All his children were born there, but i'm not sure on him.
    On his service military records it does state he was born in Aghaloo. So my question is, how many towns were there in Aghaloo between the years 1789 when he was born roughly to 1832 which was the birth year of his youngest child ? And can anyone provide the names of these towns too please?
    I am a little confused too about Aughnacloy, i have been told it was once in a Parish called Carnteel, is this true and if so, how can a town move from one parish to another.
    All very confusing, however the info i need would be most useful in trying to trace whether my 4x great gandad was born in Aughnacloy or not. Because he was born before registry im told it may be a lost cause

Thank you for reading Janette
    Last edited by Janette1169; 05-11-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Reputation beyond repute

Have you looked in GenUKI?

https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Ireland > Tyrone > Aghaloo

Janette1169

Hi Peter. I did not know about that site. I shall take a look, thank you :-)

Janette

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Janette1169 View Post
    Hi. I am trying to trace whether or not my 4x great grandfather was born in Aughnacloy or not. All his children were born there, but i'm not sure on him.
    On his service military records it does state he was born in Aghaloo. So my question is, how many towns were there in Aghaloo between the years 1789 when he was born roughly to 1832 which was the birth year of his youngest child ? And can anyone provide the names of these towns too please?
    I am a little confused too about Aughnacloy, i have been told it was once in a Parish called Carnteel, is this true and if so, how can a town move from one parish to another.
    All very confusing, however the info i need would be most useful in trying to trace whether my 4x great gandad was born in Aughnacloy or not. Because he was born before registry im told it may be a lost cause

Thank you for reading Janette
    Sometimes parishes are divided or boundaries get redrawn due to shrinking or increasing population numbers. There certainly were some changes around Aghaloo, probably around 1844. PRONI’s guide to church records comments that the Church of Ireland church at Brantry in Aghaloo was “formed out of Aghaloo, Carnteel & Clonfeacle parishes”. Aughnacloy today is in Carnteel, but it may not always have been.

You don't say what exact denomination your ancestors were. Do you know? If Church of Ireland, then the earliest records in Aghaloo start in 1791 but there are major gaps. It looks as though most of the records for the early and mid 1800s were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin. If they were Presbyterian, the earliest records date to 1829 (Minterburn) and RC from 1846.

Carnteel Church of Ireland start in 1805, Presbyterian 1812 (Aughnacloy Pres church) and RC in 1846.

Copies of the above records can be found in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.
    ELWYN

Janette1169

Hi Elwyn. And thank you for your reply. I am not sure what faith my ancestors were. After a little research i am thinking they were Presbyterian. And this only based on the fact i was informed Aughnacloy/Aghaloo were Presbyterian areas. My family name is Johnston and because of that i am looking at the fact my ancestors could have originated from Scotland and moved to Ireland at some point, pointing to the possibility they could be of Presbyterian faith. I have no documents to support this at all. My 3x g grandfather was married in a C of E church in Croydon,Surrey. This eliminated my thoughts they could have been Catholic.
    Would the children have followed their parents choice of religion? If i knew their choice of faith, it would make research so much easier

I will try and search PRONI, however like The National Archives i find it so confusing and complicated to use.
    One again thank you for reply and the info too, its much appreciated and will be most useful in my search

Janette

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Sometimes parishes are divided or boundaries get redrawn due to shrinking or increasing population numbers. There certainly were some changes around Aghaloo, probably around 1844. PRONI’s guide to church records comments that the Church of Ireland church at Brantry in Aghaloo was “formed out of Aghaloo, Carnteel & Clonfeacle parishes”. Aughnacloy today is in Carnteel, but it may not always have been.

You don't say what exact denomination your ancestors were. Do you know? If Church of Ireland, then the earliest records in Aghaloo start in 1791 but there are major gaps. It looks as though most of the records for the early and mid 1800s were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin. If they were Presbyterian, the earliest records date to 1829 (Minterburn) and RC from 1846.

Carnteel Church of Ireland start in 1805, Presbyterian 1812 (Aughnacloy Pres church) and RC in 1846.

Copies of the above records can be found in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Aughnacloy is a Presbyterian area but there are many people from other denominations there too. I had a look at the 1901 Irish census for Co Tyrone. There were 913 people named Johnston in the county. About 50 RC, 300 Church of Ireland, 370 Presbyterian, 114 Methodists and some others.

Clearly it’s not a native Irish name and your ancestors will almost certainly have originated in either Scotland or England. If they were Presbyterian then they almost certainly originated in Scotland. If Church of Ireland it could be England or also sometimes Scotland too. (Not all Scots settlers were Presbyterian).

The main plantation of the Tyrone area was in the 1600s and so that’s the most likely time they arrived. They came all through the 1600s, but with a big surge in the 1690s due to famine in Scotland. According to the Muster Rolls for c 1630, the area around Aughnacloy (Barony of Clogher) was then owned by a Sir James Esrkin kt, and there were 2 Adam Johnstons living there at that time. So the surname was known in the area then, but in limited numbers.

Here’s what a google search produced:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n....asp?ID=F10755

“Sir Thomas Ridgeway was one of hundreds of English and Scottish aristocrats who obtained slices of Ulster during the plantation era.
    It was the cheapest and most convenient way that the ruling monarch had of repaying them for services rendered.
    In Ridgeway’s case he was treasurer of wars in Ireland. In 1610 King James I granted him a total of 1,720 hectares, (4,300 acres) in the Clogher valley area.
    In 1613 he built a castle in Augher and then sold his entire estate to Sir James Erskine in 1622. In 1630 a defect was discovered in the original grant of lands to Ridgeway and King Charles I made a re-grant of the lands to Erskine.
    This Royal Favour was acknowledged by naming the estate Favour Royal.
    Sir James Erskine son Archibald having two daughters Mary and Ann . Mary married William Richardson and took up living in Augher castle. Later as Sir William Richardson he gained fame as the magistrate who kept a supply of Shillelaghs for the settlements of legal disputes.
    The other daughter Ann, married John Moutray in 1670 .
    The Moutray family continued to live there until the death of Mrs Anketell Moutray on New years day 1975. The house and what remained of the estate was sold in 1976. A major part of the estate was acquired by the Forest service. The total area is approx 500 hectares (1,250 acres).”

Many of the big plantation owners brought tenants with them from their English or Scottish estates. So if you research Thos Ridgeway and the Erskin family, you might get a clue as to where the Johnstons originated.

Methodists are a bit complicated in Ireland. Originally a schism of the Church of England, they took much longer to become a separate denomination in Ireland than in England (many didn’t want to split) and so though they had their own meeting halls, they carried on using the Church of Ireland for baptisms and marriages until at least 1835 and in some cases till the 1870s. So if you don’t find your ancestors in Methodist records, try Church of Ireland.

In general in Ireland, a couple would marry in the bride’s church and thereafter she would attend her husband’s church. So the church where a couple marry often tells you about the bride but not necessarily about the husband (unless it happened to be his church too).

The children would tend to be baptised into the husband’s denomination, but like all such rules this was not universally followed. If the bride had a stronger faith than her husband, you sometimes see the children being brought up with her denomination. In mixed marriages eg RC – Church of Ireland, you sometimes see sons brought up under the husband’s faith and daughters under the mothers. Tricky territory. No universal rules.

If I were you, I would start with the Presbyterian records, then try Methodist and Church of Ireland. Though Church of Ireland and RC follow the parish system (ie you normally attend church in the parish where you reside) Presbyterians and Methodists don’t and so the church you attend is a matter of personal preference and not always the nearest to where you reside. So you may need to widen your search accordingly.

PRONI’s records are not on-line (save for a few widely used sets like the wills and freeholder records). Most of their records are on microfilm or paper format and a personal visit is required to access them. All you can do on-line is search the catalogues to see what holdings they have.
    ELWYN

Janette1169

Hi Elwyn.

Thank you so much for that information. Religion isn't my strongest subject and i am not well educated on it either. I did wonder about husband and spouse being of different religion too. However i digress here from my original post a bit. I have my 4x g grandfather's discharge papers but not his sign up records. I am now wondering whether to contact Enniskillen Castle to see if they have any information regarding his sign up records, religion and where he was born.
    The information you have shared is most appreciated, thanks again
    Kind regards Janette

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Janette1169 View Post
    Hi Elwyn.

Thank you so much for that information. Religion isn't my strongest subject and i am not well educated on it either. I did wonder about husband and spouse being of different religion too. However i digress here from my original post a bit. I have my 4x g grandfather's discharge papers but not his sign up records. I am now wondering whether to contact Enniskillen Castle to see if they have any information regarding his sign up records, religion and where he was born.
    The information you have shared is most appreciated, thanks again
    Kind regards Janette
    Fort Johnston is jut outside Aughnacloy with Johnstons still living there.